What would cause my FSK16 to not be propelled by my Johnson JW10 3hp?

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
I saw this post.
With being a newbie to engines is this going to be that difficult? I just don’t want mess anything up beyond repair.

I’ve done all but condensers and water pump. What exactly are the condensers. Nor the gear lube and new seals.

Attachments

• 0EA92611-B507-4D01-AFD2-E2E295DCE5ED.png
    0EA92611-B507-4D01-AFD2-E2E295DCE5ED.png
    265.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
The water pump is actually quite simple and easy, there are U tube videos on that, the screw on the lower unit can be reused, it is the gasket washer under the screw that keeps water out. Last ones I bought were 3 for less than 5 bucks. Once you drop the leg and look inside the pump, you might just need the rubber impellor as long as the inside of the housing is not scored or grooved. That rubber impellor can get dry with age and the legs break off and overheat the engine. Do everything right and your motor will be worth 3 times what you paid for it.

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
The water pump is actually quite simple and easy, there are U tube videos on that, the screw on the lower unit can be reused, it is the gasket washer under the screw that keeps water out. Last ones I bought were 3 for less than 5 bucks. Once you drop the leg and look inside the pump, you might just need the rubber impellor as long as the inside of the housing is not scored or grooved. That rubber impellor can get dry with age and the legs break off and overheat the engine. Do everything right and your motor will be worth 3 times what you paid for it.
Yes I just found this video on YouTube

That raised my confidence in being able to do this repair. I also bought a condenser, drain plug screw and washers.

It came with two washers. Do I use them both? I’d assume so or atleast I’ll notice when I take it apart tomorrow, just figured I’d ask before I delve into it.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Should be two screws, one on bottom and one called a vent about 8-10" higher up

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
Should be two screws, one on bottom and one called a vent about 8-10" higher up
Ok. The part I bought is called the lower unit drain/fill screw.

I forgot to mention the other parts were drain screw gaskets.

Is it one gasket per screw then is what you are saying?

Appreciate your time.

Last edited:

Mark ofs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i would expect so...one for the lower one for the upper. usually take the upper screw out first...then the lower to drain. refill from the lower...when oil comes out the top screw hole...put the upper one in...then put the lower one in.

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
i would expect so...one for the lower one for the upper. usually take the upper screw out first...then the lower to drain. refill from the lower...when oil comes out the top screw hole...put the upper one in...then put the lower one in.
I haven’t done the repairs yet as it’s been rather cold and wet today and I don’t have a great place to work on my motor.

When filling with gear lube, do I want the engine standing vertically?

And can I do it without a pump,

IE: using this without a pump to fill

Wanted to edit to say thank you by the way. Any info I’ve gained from everyone here has been so much appreciated. This is a great community.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Replace the impeller before worrying about the gear oil.

Mark ofs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
in answer to your questions, yes the motor is verticle when doing this, I have always used a manual pump to refill, but, I did see my father-in-law must have done it without, for he had just the squeeze tubes...but you probably want to go with the recommendations to do the impeller first though.

airshot

Rear Admiral
You can use the squeeze bottles, but they can become messy quick. The pumps that fit the quart bottles are much easier and cheap to buy.

FasterDaddy

Cadet
you need to get a owner's manual or service manual for your new hobby motor. These little things can last forever and can be a lot of fun. But you need to know a few things, like what spark to use, what fuel/oil mix to use, what fuel filter to use, what gas tank it uses, how to get parts. Learn about your motor and it will give you years of service. Start by Googling the motor with model and serial number. Google Parts for Johnson Model XXX, Manual for Johnson. There are parts, manuals and clubs for antique engines and boats. HAVE FUN!!!!