What would cause my FSK16 to not be propelled by my Johnson JW10 3hp?

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
Just pull the prop and you'll know if the pin is sheared.
I’ll have to do that because I just tried the method of holding an 2x4 against the prop and starting it. And there’s too much smoke to tell what is going on down there.

Last edited by a moderator:

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
This is the result of taking the cotter pin off and propeller off. I believe this is the shear pin in two pieces?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

racerone

Supreme Mariner
See post #3----Shear pins are usualy 3 pieces when an incident has occurred

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
See post #3----Shear pins are usualy 3 pieces when an incident has occurred
There’s got to be chance it fell or something when taking it apart? These two pieces to equal the distance between the original cotter pin. I’ll go look but with no disrespect meant that can’t be an impossibility that I let the third piece fall or something.

Found the third piece inside where the propeller goes into for lack of a better term

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
Made a shear pin from 1/8 brass welding rod and picked up some cotter pins since mine broke taking it apart.

She’s running like a beast now can’t keep enough water in the bucket to keep it running funny the difference between when I thought it was running good to how it is now.

Thanks for the help everyone, you have all been helpful!

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
Can’t wait to take it out now but the weather is going to be in the low to mid 50s for awhile now of course -.-.

But I’ll have to man up and do it up anyways. Thanks again everyone!

-Thomas

flashback

Captain
just a word of caution, you probably want to change out the water pump impeller before you burn the motor up...

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
just a word of caution, you probably want to change out the water pump impeller before you burn the motor up...
Mind if I ask why and what had changed by just changing out the shear pin, no offenses meant.

Edit: I’m seeing these water pumps for $70 or so and I only spent $100 on the motor. Trying to justify the cost of doing so unless I can find a cheaper one

2nd edit: sorry, is there anyway I can clean the current one because even Brazilianconnection doesn’t have them just saw one post on ebay so far

Last edited:

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
I guess the $70 one included the assembly plate and screws. Found this for much cheaper.

How difficult is this for someone whose no professional but can it done?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
waterpumps last 5 years regardless if the motor is used or not.

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
waterpumps last 5 years regardless if the motor is used or not.
If it’s something I can’t do myself and cost is going to run a couple hundred im
going to run it til she burns up. I spent 100 on it. One or two seasons out of it would be good for me.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its considered normal maintenance like spark plugs. only takes a short bit of time to drop the leg and change the raw water pump.

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
its considered normal maintenance like spark plugs. only takes a short bit of time to drop the leg and change the raw water pump.
Looking into it on leeroysramblings.com makes it seem much more than changing spark plugs. I’ve already changed those and the wires to the coils.

The water pump seems a hell of a lot more involved especially when I don’t know the last time it’s been worked on. Thinking I’m going to pass and let ‘er go til she goes.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need to understand that this is a simple job!-----Your motor does not have a warning horn.---It does not have a shut down feature on overheat.----It would run for you till the motor is scrap.----If you do not know how old the impeller is your motor needs a new one !--And the spline on driveshaft needs greasing TODAY as well.=----Simple as that.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
That looks as if that wee engine turns its prop anti clockwise left hand rotation. Unusual. If you hadn’t found the sheer pin compromised, I’d be asking more around that, haha. Also unusual arrangement around the shear pin assembly there too perhaps. Are you certain that prop assembly is as it should be ? When you pull the starter chord, what way does the prop/prop shaft rotate ? Just thought I’d make sure.

flashback

Captain
Yeah I believe the prop is good, don't see any damage the twist is good and that makes me wonder how the pin broke.
In any case, if the motor runs well you have to replace the pump impeller and then you will get more than your asking for!