What would cause my FSK16 to not be propelled by my Johnson JW10 3hp?

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
I own a SeaEagle FishSkiff16. It’s an extremely neat inflatable boat and gets around fairly decent with the 44lb thrust trolling motor I’ve been forced to use with it.

I made a post a while back about getting my JW running, and I’ve gotten it running great. It starts up in two/three pulls cold. Has to run high revs for a few minutes before I can tune it down to slow speed. Problem is, this is all while it’s in a bucket full of water. I was so excited to finally bring it out into the lake but my excitement immediately turned to explicit frustration. It turned over just like it always had inside the bucket, only it wasn’t propelling my boat
forward at all. It was “pissing” water and churning enough water where it seemed like I should have been going somewhere fast. I turned it off and tried adjusting the tilt to each setting and with each try, nothing changed.

I contacted SeaEagle and they suggested it could be a ventilation problem. I don’t recall if the ventilation plate was above or below water. I made a (hopefully not a terrible) judgement call and cut an inch of the transom down and tried it again the other day and the same damned thing. Lots of water propulsion but no movement.

I can get another transom for $99 so if I somehow mess that up, it’s not the most expensive mistake I’ve ever made.

I just wanted to know what others here might have to say about this. The picture I added is the lower unit in the water before the inch I cut out of the transom.

Before I end this post I’d like to mention I’m not an expert on engines, let alone outboard motors. And it’s not entirely often I can get the boat into the water to test options out, but I’d appreciate any replies and offers of advice at this point.

Thanks in advance,

-Thomas

Attachments

• BC43837F-59B7-45AD-9B80-382494948EF6.jpeg
    BC43837F-59B7-45AD-9B80-382494948EF6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is the prop actually turning or are you just seeing exhaust bubbles.

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
The prop was definitely turning. Don’t make me second guess myself now lol but I’m 99.9 percent sure they were.

Last edited by a moderator:

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
When I think back to having it in the bucket the prop was turning for certain.
I don’t know what happened here with the quoting of both you guys but it happened lol.

That prop was definitely turning inside the bucket. I don’t see why it wouldn’t have been out in the water.

Mark ofs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
no expert here, but, in the bucket there was no force required on the prop

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
no expert here, but, in the bucket there was no force required on the prop
So again, I’m no expert either. And I dont mean this question in a disrespectful manner.

But what does that have to do with the problem at hand?

I appreciate everything everyone here is giving me.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Behind rhe prop is a small drive pin called a shear pin that drives the prop, but if it hits something, the pin shears annd needs replaced. If rhe pin has sheared the prop might go around but no drive to push your boat.

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
Behind rhe prop is a small drive pin called a shear pin that drives the prop, but if it hits something, the pin shears annd needs replaced. If rhe pin has sheared the prop might go around but no drive to push your boat.
Thank you for that explanation. I will do some research tomorrow and give it a look this weekend to see if I can’t see if that’s the problem.

Appreciate the feedback

-Thomas

Papa-t

Seaman Apprentice
Also check to see if it’s going in gear. My prop will turn in neutral and if you give it gas it will make to prop bubbles but not propell.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Also check to see if it’s going in gear. My prop will turn in neutral and if you give it gas it will make to prop bubbles but not propell.
Don't think those little motors have a gear shift..

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes these are drive only outboards, no reverse/neutral.
We used to call them " yank and go"....back in the old days some motors had the start speed at about 3/4 thottle, with a 10 hp outboard at that high of throttle with no neutral....saw more than a few guys get tossed over the transom when that motor roared to life !!

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
Is this considered before or after the propeller?

Also expulsion of gas is very normal with these older 2 strokes from what I understand?

I’m using. 16:1 ratio if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• F357507F-B8A3-4680-B1EE-D47AB3D5EDF6.jpeg
    F357507F-B8A3-4680-B1EE-D47AB3D5EDF6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

flashback

Captain
That's the cotter pin not the shear pin. Remove the cotter, remove the nut, remove the prop and you'll find the shear pin..

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
That's the cotter pin not the shear pin. Remove the cotter, remove the nut, remove the prop and you'll find the shear pin..
When I get home I’m going to give that a go. Is there anything that can be used in replacement of the shear pin or will I need to find an oem somehow?

M1aTom

Seaman Apprentice
Brass or aluminum not steel..
So pardon my ignorance, but are shear pins something that can be used across many platforms of boats?
I was also told I could hold the propeller steady with something and try starting it and if it starts and hold it stopped it means that the prop is likely the problem? Is that something you may know?

Buster53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So pardon my ignorance, but are shear pins something that can be used across many platforms of boats?
I was also told I could hold the propeller steady with something and try starting it and if it starts and hold it stopped it means that the prop is likely the problem? Is that something you may know?
That tells you the shear pin has been “sheared”, which is their purpose. You hit something in the water and the shear pin breaks before the prop is damaged.