What the bunk.

FLATHEAD

Captain
I go to take out today and see my one bunk hanging down. Was a bit hairy with the wind and an audience driving the boat on without gouging it. Got her tied on for the ride home. New hardware is in order all the way around and a stash of big zip ties in the truck.

IMG_4627.jpeg

64osby

Admiral
Get a couple long carriage bolts. Tighten them until the head is below the face of the bunk.

Are you using lags or screws?

FLATHEAD

Captain
Get a couple long carriage bolts. Tighten them until the head is below the face of the bunk.

Are you using lags or screws?
Right now they have have #14 panhead stainless wood screws. The carriage bolts will work for a temp fix and that’s what I’ll do, but when I redo all the bunks I’ll go back to the screws, lot cleaner look.

64osby

Admiral
On the new ones, sink the carriage bolts into the wood then carpet them. Maybe use tee nuts buried in the wood, still better than screws. Screws are not a long term solution in wet conditions IMHO.

FLATHEAD

Captain
On the new ones, sink the carriage bolts into the wood then carpet them. Maybe use tee nuts buried in the wood, still better than screws. Screws are not a long term solution in wet conditions IMHO.
You guys are right. It’s only the bunks on the guide ons that have screws. The ones under the boat have lags. My problem is I’ll probably need to cut and carpet the new bunks ahead of time then swap them out after I launch the boat and tie it off or beach it. I don’t have the option to keep it at a marina. Lags will probably have to do underneath.