What is the Starcraft Islander Freeboard height??

Wagz184

Recruit
Can someone with an Islander or similar model with a belly tank advise what their freeboard height is (from the top of the floor to the top of the gunwale). The factory set up is about 36" from the top of the floor to the top of the gunwale at the aft. My stringers are 5' tall which gives me about 8 1/2" from the top of the stringers to the keel.

I'm converting an 83' Islander from an I/O to an OB and would like to add a belly tank but looks like I would need to extent the height of the stringers or have taller ones made as the shortest replacement tank I can find requires about 11".

Thank you

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Mine is a 22'

Im wondering if the gunwale's actually got taller or just the height of the stringers were used to fit the tank in the floor.
The tanks were custom made to fit the belly. What you can do is remove the deck supports, fit your tank and then put the supports back in and attach them to the ribs on the outside edges of the tank. I did this with my Chief and then added height to the ends of the ribs to level the deck.

embed

Wagz184

Recruit
Thanks Waterman. What size tank is that and brand? Do you recall the height of your stringers?

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
It might be a few weeks before I can look at my tank.
I have a 22ft islander.

There is a difference though, if yours is a later V like mine, or an earlier V5, you might have a complex lattice structure under that deck.

Wagz184

Recruit
I’m not sure which version I have but it is the basic style with 2 stringers aft to bow that are 5” tall.
IMG_9821.jpegIMG_4301.jpegIMG_9823.jpeg