What do you use on your boat floor????

kfa4303

Banned
Re: What do you use on your boat floor????

I may note that in the picture the slats you see are not screwed into the boat at all. They are laying on 3 wooden braces running horizontal and the braces are secured to the raised metal stringers of the boat with about 10 short sheet metal screws. One reason for the wood screws was so I could recess them and pop rivets on top just wouldn't work .

Gotcha. I was thinking of using some wooden braces to make the slats sit flat on mine too. Maybe I can come up with a way to make the floor(s) removable too :/ Thanks again for the ideas!

vi

Seaman

I use some 3' by 5' mats you put outside the front door, there rubber backed and a thick tight pile for wipeing your feet. I did the sand sprinkle on my deck then topped off with epoxy. I can roll these up and take them home if I use the slip lay them on the drive way and hose off. I was gonna do snap in but this is working well for me.

chriscraft254

Commander

Just because no one else has said it, Rhino Line it!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Mine is a 1984 Lund that was carpeted by factory. Finally replaced original decking and carpet a year ago. So original lasted 26 years! I now see many of the new Lunds have vinyl.

Personal taste! I like to fish barefoot, carpet feels better on bare feet. I also haven't experienced problems with water intrusion into the carpet. Only time mine seems to get wet is when I'm out in the rain. Marine carpet cleans easily enough for me and haven't noticed any smell..

If this were a large boat like a salmon charter fishing boat it would be different for me.

chriscraft254

Commander

Mine is a 1984 Lund that was carpeted by factory. Finally replaced original decking and carpet a year ago. So original lasted 26 years! I now see many of the new Lunds have vinyl.

Personal taste! I like to fish barefoot, carpet feels better on bare feet. I also haven't experienced problems with water intrusion into the carpet. Only time mine seems to get wet is when I'm out in the rain. Marine carpet cleans easily enough for me and haven't noticed any smell..

If this were a large boat like a salmon charter fishing boat it would be different for me.

Man, I couldn't even stand the carpet in the interior of my boat. Can't see ever having carpet on a fishing boat.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Man, I couldn't even stand the carpet in the interior of my boat. Can't see ever having carpet on a fishing boat.

Quess that's why it's called a personal preferance.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

looks like vinyl is winning

I don't think you can beat Nautolex. Before you start, plan each step in the process and have extra hands available. You only get one shot at getting it down smoothly using contact cement. - Grandad

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a plan. Do you use the glue that they sell with the Nautolex and is a gallon enough to do a 17' center console. Also should I put the floor down first then install the console and seats? I think that would be cleaner and easier to do. What have you guys done with your projects?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like a plan. Do you use the glue that they sell with the Nautolex and is a gallon enough to do a 17' center console. Also should I put the floor down first then install the console and seats? I think that would be cleaner and easier to do. What have you guys done with your projects?

To my disappointment, I wasn't able to purchase Nautolex 88 as recommended for use when I installed mine. You can't go wrong using what the manufacturer recommends. Don't install any obstructions to laying a down a flat plane of vinyl such as the console and seats. The flooring should be cemented down in sections to ensure a wrinkle free install. Draw a straight centerline on the subfloor before dry laying the rough cut vinyl on it. Temporarily fasten one edge of the dry vinyl with staples or weights to keep it smoothly in place. Fold the loose edge back over the fastened side and support it as smoothly as possible on a plank or plywood or boxes to use up some of its bulk while you roll contact cement on the upturned underside.

Follow instructions on the cement to apply to both vinyl and subfloor, but only up to the centerline. Wait the prescribed time interval. Use at least 3 people to uniformly roll the upturned cemented surface down onto the subfloor without wrinkling. Contact in the center first while helpers support the ends. Spread smoothly from the center. Avoid contact until you're sure. Trying to pull contacted surfaces apart is bad news. Once one side is in place, repeat for the other side. I recommend experimenting with scrap pieces before the big event. - Grandad

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

For just the deck, a gallon will suffice. I ran a little short on mine but I was doing some side areas as well.

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found the perfect flooring to put in my boat last year. But, not sure it is available to every one. A friend of mine runs the business where I got it in PHX AZ

Here in NM rain is not our enemy.... it is sun. We only get 6-8 inches a year with about 3-5% humidity (although it does seen to get ALL that rain in weekends!!). Moss, mildew, rot, etc etc is rare. Therefore rotting floor is not a real concern.

So, I put down ACX plywood with several coats of good deck epoxy Then...... a product called Tot-turf. Its what they put on outside play grounds. It comes in every color and color combo you can think of. It comes in most every thinkness from 3/8 up. It is trolled out from a slurry in any shape/size flat or rolled up in a roll to be cut in any shape. It is soft and spungy about like the consistency of an eraser. Easy on the feet and knees, water passes right through it. Can be simply hosed off or taken up off the floor, thrown on the lawn and washed. It is made and designed to be out in direct weather/sunlight/rain.... out door stuff.

It is a bit heavy depending on the thickness. About 2.5 lbs per sp foot for the 1/2" I just started to invite skinnier dates for the boat trips to compensate. I got a 3 shade cream/beige/lt brn. I love it. Wish I could send you all pics but I cannot simply figure out how to do it on this site.

Grzzz

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found the perfect flooring to put in my 67 starcraft (found I need to put "starcraft" in to get in the right link?) boat last year. But, not sure it is available to every one. A friend of mine runs the business where I got it in PHX AZ

Here in NM rain is not our enemy.... it is sun. We only get 6-8 inches a year with about 3-5% humidity (although it does seen to get ALL that rain in weekends!!). Moss, mildew, rot, etc etc is rare. Therefore rotting floor is not a real concern.

So, I put down ACX plywood with several coats of good deck epoxy Then...... a product called Tot-turf. Its what they put on outside play grounds. It comes in every color and color combo you can think of. It comes in most every thinkness from 3/8 up. It is trolled out from a slurry in any shape/size flat or rolled up in a roll to be cut in any shape. It is soft and spungy about like the consistency of an eraser. Easy on the feet and knees, water passes right through it. Can be simply hosed off or taken up off the floor, thrown on the lawn and washed. It is made and designed to be out in direct weather/sunlight/rain.... out door stuff.

It is a bit heavy depending on the thickness. About 2.5 lbs per sp foot for the 1/2" I just started to invite skinnier dates for the boat trips to compensate. I got a 3 shade cream/beige/lt brn. I love it. Wish I could send you all pics but I cannot simply figure out how to do it on this site.

Grzzz

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I just ordered my Nautolex flooring now I guess that's. what I'm going with. I hope I like it. Smoke Gray it is. Just need about a week off from work and 65 degree weather and I/'ll be good to go. I'll put some pics up as soon as the weather breaks and I start back up on the rebuild.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got some of the floor in today. This Nautolex is nice stuff. I'm so glad I used it instead of putting down carpet. Still have a lot of work to do, But it's getting there.

Attachments

• IMAG0286 (1).jpg
    IMAG0286 (1).jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0287 (1).jpg
    IMAG0287 (1).jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0289 (1).jpg
    IMAG0289 (1).jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Lookin' real good Bob!

TyeeMcGee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm going to be using Cabela's Tuff Coat
s7_016662_renderset_01

bgc

Ensign

Nice work!

bgc

Ensign

Lookin good, how soon until she gets wet?