What do you use on your boat floor????

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just trying to finish up my project and was wondering what everyone uses for flooring in there aluminum boats. I was thinking about carpet but then was looking at some of the vinyl flooring. Boat still has some ways to go before finishing and have the winter to think about it.Would love to hear back from anyone that has put down both and how they like what they used on the floor. My boat is a 1992 Starcraft CC 17 Mariner. Will use it for fishing and fun with the family.
Take a look at my project in the starcraft listings. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=492331

Zyen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What do you use on your boat floor????

IMO, it depends on what you like best. personally, i am barefoot in the boat 95% of the time, and the vinyl or epoxy/sand tends to feel funny after a while (to me)...and moreso after a 4-5 hour lake tour.
i have always liked carpet, but it's harder to clean if you have things like chocolate or other "lunch" items ground in.
years ago i had a 14' cajun special aluminum with carpet floors and loved it. i have a friend with vinyl in his fiberglass and he swears by it.

so, my opinion is carpet for my barefeet. :)

just my $0.02

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was looking at some new boats the other day and one had snap in carpet over vinyl on the decks. Looks like this could be the best of both worlds. Pull them up for fishing and then snap-em in for family fun. I considering this idea for my decks.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL you guys are really making this hard, I just might have to go with both options

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tinnys are made for water to drain through the flooring and then run to the back through slots to where the bilge pump removes it. That way you never have standing water to slip on. I used treated wooden slants which I stained to the color I wanted. Much better than plywood or stinky carpet or somekind of floor vinyl.See picbot 018.jpg

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like carpet as well, i always take my shoes off and like others have said it just feels good.

Zyen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hate the water absorbing qualities of carpet and the mildew it breeds!:mad:

i gotta agree with that one....but still prefer carpet.

one thing i did to keep mildew down (not gone, but very little), leave said boat out in sun, no cover, till it dries out.
actually, i didnt have much choice....i didnt have a cover for the boat. ;)

kfa4303

Banned

Tinnys are made for water to drain through the flooring and then run to the back through slots to where the bilge pump removes it. That way you never have standing water to slip on. I used treated wooden slants which I stained to the color I wanted. Much better than plywood or stinky carpet or somekind of floor vinyl.See picView attachment 124321

Hi rivermouse. I love what you've done with your boat! Do the slats on the floor follow the concave curve of the bottom of the boat or are they level (I guess they're riveted on)? Do they extend all the way back to the transom, or just between the bench seats? Also, what type of wood did you use and what did you seal/treat it with? I'm trying to completely rip off your design, if you can't tell ;) Looks great. Thanks again for the pic.

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've seen this thread over the past few days... first thing that comes to my mind is... KNEE PADS! :eek:

Anyway, I pulled the crapet out of my project, and installed Nautalex (vinyl).

I like Mouse's wood slats, too!

~Fishy

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OH! but in looking at that material that benjh proposes - I don't know. I fish, so getting fish slime, guts and bait bits imbedded in that material doesn't sound good to me, on first visit. I would need to investigate it more to satisfy any use I would have for it.

YMMV

~fishy

rivermouse

Hi rivermouse. I love what you've done with your boat! Do the slats on the floor follow the concave curve of the bottom of the boat or are they level (I guess they're riveted on)? Do they extend all the way back to the transom, or just between the bench seats? Also, what type of wood did you use and what did you seal/treat it with? I'm trying to completely rip off your design, if you can't tell ;) Looks great. Thanks again for the pic.
Thank you. The floor section does bend with bottom curve of the boat. It is made of treated wooden slants aprox 2'' by 3/4" from home depot. I stained them with a stain that has polyurethane already in it. They are attached to cross slats with short galvanized wood screws. Behind the rear seat I built a tray made the same way to keep the gas tank and battery box up so any water draining back can go under them and be pumped out. I have used this floor for 3 years with no issues.

kfa4303

Banned

thanks! I think I'll go with epoxy and aluminum rivets on mine, but I love the design and I'm glad it's working out for you. cheers!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

LOL you guys are really making this hard, I just might have to go with both options

you can allways go snap in carpet.

that other stuff looks like a brillo pad !

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all of the good ideas. That is what I like about this forum...going through and seeing what others like to do!!

rivermouse

thanks! I think I'll go with epoxy and aluminum rivets on mine, but I love the design and I'm glad it's working out for you. cheers!
I may note that in the picture the slats you see are not screwed into the boat at all. They are laying on 3 wooden braces running horizontal and the braces are secured to the raised metal stringers of the boat with about 10 short sheet metal screws. One reason for the wood screws was so I could recess them and pop rivets on top just wouldn't work .

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Carpet? Seems like a guarantee to rot your floor sooner than later

I give 4 thumbs up to Nautolex - easyto install, can't see dirt, sheds water, fish guts come off it, cheap, easy to install...