Went electric

JimDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, your thinking is akin to how goldfish think. More than one variable at play, which gets too complicated sometimes for some. An EV using nothing but coal fired electricity is still more efficient than an ICE.
I doubt that what you claim is true, but, that wasn't the point. What I got from your earlier post was that coal fired electric plants are non-existent. Also, if EV's are so great, why do they have to be forced upon us? If wind and solar are so great, why does it have to be forced upon us...and subsidized? And then the nat gas electricity plant that is needed to provide electricity, you know, when it gets dark or the wind doesn't blow, has to be subsidized too. Sounds really efficient. And to pretend that any EV is charged only by coal, is a bit silly. :unsure:

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I was going to buy an electric Ryobi 54" ZTR last year, but we spent the money on my wife and the boy to go to the Philippines on vacation for a month instead. Could have bought two ZTRs for that much! 💸 :LOL:

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes, your thinking is akin to how goldfish think. More than one variable at play, which gets too complicated sometimes for some. An EV using nothing but coal fired electricity is still more efficient than an ICE.
i don't agree that an EV is more efficient than a proper vehicle ,
try charging your EV from flat with a generator. that is if you can get a portable generator big enough to supply enough energy / KVA to do the job.
now , even if you could find a portable generator that produces the KVA/ power needed to charge the EV , the cost to buy the unit and the fuel efficiency to run it for the time it would take to recharge would out weigh the cost to produce a tank of fuel for a normal car.
lets not forget , when the EV battery is depleted the cost to our environment to dispose of the old and build the new replace a cell set is going to far out weight the amount of environmental damage even in the life of a clapped out old 90s car.

electric power no matter how good people think it is , for the time being , electric power is still inefficient,
no doubt efficiency and recyclability will improve as technology advances , but for now IMO the fossil fuel is the winner when energy is needed to power high power consumption device's..

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I doubt that what you claim is true, but, that wasn't the point. What I got from your earlier post was that coal fired electric plants are non-existent. Also, if EV's are so great, why do they have to be forced upon us? If wind and solar are so great, why does it have to be forced upon us...and subsidized? And then the nat gas electricity plant that is needed to provide electricity, you know, when it gets dark or the wind doesn't blow, has to be subsidized too. Sounds really efficient. And to pretend that any EV is charged only by coal, is a bit silly. :unsure:
that's where they have "" natural gas "" back up(y)

nola mike

Vice Admiral
i don't agree that an EV is more efficient than a proper vehicle ,
try charging your EV from flat with a generator. that is if you can get a portable generator big enough to supply enough energy / KVA to do the job.
now , even if you could find a portable generator that produces the KVA/ power needed to charge the EV , the cost to buy the unit and the fuel efficiency to run it for the time it would take to recharge would out weigh the cost to produce a tank of fuel for a normal car.
lets not forget , when the EV battery is depleted the cost to our environment to dispose of the old and build the new replace a cell set is going to far out weight the amount of environmental damage even in the life of a clapped out old 90s car.

electric power no matter how good people think it is , for the time being , electric power is still inefficient,
no doubt efficiency and recyclability will improve as technology advances , but for now IMO the fossil fuel is the winner when energy is needed to power high power consumption device's..
Seriously? Who is using portable generators to charge their cars?

Etc

tphoyt

Ensign
Shades of tht...
Btw Joe my mph of the swallow was meant to be a joke. I forgot the smiley face. Well I didn’t forget it just didn’t make the print. I have to many calluses on my fingers and they don’t always work the key board as intended.
Just wanted ya to know.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Etc
it was meant to be an example of how much energy is consumed charging the EV cells to keep them healthy.

a couple of news posts will never convince me the Evs are better than the real thing .
we all know how much the media brain wash the public into believing the BS they spread no matter what the subject , so what would make the plight for electric power any different.

back on track , electric garden equipment is nice in quaint suburban property's where overgrowth and weeds are never an issue , try using them on a bush block just to do a general clean up.
horses for courses !. the plight of the electric power trimmer or " mower " will never win either.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Btw Joe my mph of the swallow was meant to be a joke. I forgot the smiley face. Well I didn’t forget it just didn’t make the print. I have to many calluses on my fingers and they don’t always work the key board as intended.
Just wanted ya to know.
No worries I got it.

FLATHEAD

Captain
A hybrid might be kind of the best of both worlds. Not that I would buy one at this point but do know a guy that has a small hybrid KIA SUV. I’ve ridden in the thing, it’s not bad at all and he gets like 40 MPG. No need to plug in those things

aspeck

Staff member
I have a plethora of battery operated hand tools. I love them till the batteries go. Recently started buying generic batteries for the tools, so it isn’t as bad.

Just had to buy batteries for the golf cart … $1161 was the cheapest I could find!

I love the usage savings and emissions savings, but hate the battery cost and battery environmental issues.

JimDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Etc
If you were in your EV and the battery craps out and the next charging station is 50,100,150 miles away, what would you do?