Well, That's It. Another Season Over

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think there've been several posts on this topic. Looks like it's my turn again, and am going to have to winterize this weekend.

I only got to use the boat very little this season, 4 times I think; last one was last Friday. I had a real nice outing, all by myself. Light wind, good temps, boat ran great (except the usual not wanting to start normally after 30+min at anchor (fires off if I advance to full throttle); and I can confirm it's possible to get a pretty good sunburn in October, lol. The last time before that was in July.

I got my boat in the summer of 2018. I think I said at the time, "If I can get 5 years out of it..." Well, I've gotten that plus some. I hate to think of the price if I put it on a per time out basis (maybe $100/outing?), but I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

The last time out before the most recent, the depth finder didn't work; I fiddled with the connections behind the cluster, but no go. When I got home and tried it, it was fine. Stuff like that sort of ruins the experience for me, but I'm happy to have ended the year on a real good note. (depth finder was fine this time; checked it before I went...).

Another 6mos under the tarp in snow, ice, and whatnot. Fall's a great time though, and I'm happy about that. Happy off-season to y'all...

1988 19.5ft bowrider, 4.3L OMC Cobra

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
Slow down! I'm going out with the wife tomorrow! High of mid 80's tomorrow here in sunny Savannah Georgia. I was telling my grown sons that in looking over years of boating pictures, the only months I've not been able to find any pictures of us all out in our boats were January and February. I have some cool pictures of my wife and me and all of our 3 sons, their wives and 4 grandchildren (we have 6 now) all on Daufuski island at a restaurant/bar with live music and there's a guy in a Santa suit in the background! Yeah, it was December! we had on shorts and sweatshirts, and if I remember correctly, my 2 year old grandson wanted to ride back in my boat so he could crawl into my dry storage area to keep warm. We pulled all 3 boats together on the way back home and were all grabbing jackets, towels and foul weather gear out of all the boats to keep us warm on the way home. The wind had increased a bit and the temperature had decreased a bit, but it made for great memories and cool pictures!

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was hoping to go out this weekend while it's still not cold but 60mph winds in the forecast

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I pulled the boats a couple of weeks ago. it was miserable cold and windy/rainy for a week, now the last few days have been nice.

However, if I had left the boats in, I likely wouldn't have used them, as I have so many other things to do, and they would have just sat there.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Slow down! I'm going out with the wife tomorrow! High of mid 80's tomorrow here in sunny Savannah Georgia. I was telling my grown sons that in looking over years of boating pictures, the only months I've not been able to find any pictures of us all out in our boats were January and February. I have some cool pictures of my wife and me and all of our 3 sons, their wives and 4 grandchildren (we have 6 now) all on Daufuski island at a restaurant/bar with live music and there's a guy in a Santa suit in the background! Yeah, it was December! we had on shorts and sweatshirts, and if I remember correctly, my 2 year old grandson wanted to ride back in my boat so he could crawl into my dry storage area to keep warm. We pulled all 3 boats together on the way back home and were all grabbing jackets, towels and foul weather gear out of all the boats to keep us warm on the way home. The wind had increased a bit and the temperature had decreased a bit, but it made for great memories and cool pictures!
NOT FAIR.....when we northerners have to put our boats up for the winter, so should you southerners !! Life ain't fair !! Guess I need to sue somebody cause it just isn't fair, the weather needs to be more equal....thats it, I'll sue for weather equality....who wants my case ?? LOL..
You guys don't have to rub it in do ya ??

flashback

Captain
NOT FAIR.....when we northerners have to put our boats up for the winter, so should you southerners !! Life ain't fair !! Guess I need to sue somebody cause it just isn't fair, the weather needs to be more equal....thats it, I'll sue for weather equality....who wants my case ?? LOL..
You guys don't have to rub it in do ya ??
Well you could relocate!

matt167

Captain
Mines still set up and ready but I think I’m going to tug it into it’s storage space ( it’s very own shed ) next weekend

tpenfield

Staff member
I just put the winter cover on the boat today. Winterized it a few weeks ago. Planning for some outdrive maintenance in the spring . . . among some other things.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just getting into the Florida boating season...... Spent the day on the canoe up in Chassahowitzka

flashback

Captain
I lived in Sarasota area, had a rented cabin on siesta key back in the late 60s. I loved it for several years then moved north because I missed the other seasons.. I should have bought the cabin,.LOL

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I lived in Sarasota area, had a rented cabin on siesta key back in the late 60s. I loved it for several years then moved north because I missed the other seasons.. I should have bought the cabin,.LOL
Probably worth $1.5M or more today

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Florida has wonderful weather at Halloween time. The air was 74 and the ocean was 75. It could not have been nicer.

It is miserable in June-August, at least it was for me. In June. even the morning sun hurt my head. Even with a cap on it hurt. With a wet hat on, in the pool or in the shade it was OK.

I was in Kentucky in August. Lake Cumberland was 92, the air was 93 and real humid. If you stayed in the lake up to your neck and drank cold beer, you didn't sweat as much.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Our original plans after retirement was having a motorhome and traveling to nice weather over the year. Worked great the first year, then health problems set in, wife is now dissabled so we are stuck here. Winter stinks !!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, with climate change, I need only two sweatshirts (mostly) for the winter here in NJ. It is not real cold, at least not often for too long. When we get snow our dog thinks he can take over the neighborhood with his pee. Of course, all dogs think that.

This year I need to raise my dock as the water is rising. I have raised it before, say 12 years ago, as the water rose.

I am afraid that in NJ we will eventually have 2 seasons, like in the tropics. It seems like we have dry in the summer and wet (rain) in the winter. Like the tropics, but unusual for us in the NE. We had very little rain last year. This year it was better.

My town on the Jersey shore did have the record for a particular snowfall in 2021. It was 24 inches. It melted in2 days.

A lot of our neighbors go to Florida for the winter. I may join them sometime.

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And here it is, time to put it back together. Wind's been bad, but temp's good now for the most part : ).