Warning horn

Smd Dotzel

Recruit
I have a 1986 40hp Johnson outboard, on a recent fishing trip I started blowing the 20amp starting fuse located inside the motor. The motor would start but when I turned it off it would not start and the fuse would be blown and I would replace it. When I got home I found that my warning horn inside my remote control was melted, I assume this is causing the fuse to blow but I am wondering what caused the horn to melt in the first place. Note, when I replaced tge fuse and started the motor it runs perfectly until I shut it off. Could it be the horn just shorted out and I just need to replace it. Any advice would be appreciated

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... I'd cut the wires to the alarm, 'n try it,.....

Electric things melt, when there's to much resistance,....

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I agree, remove the warning alarm from the circuit , replace the fuse and fire her up and see what happens.

Smd Dotzel

Recruit
Thanks guys, what should I do with the 2 wires connected to the horn, put them together or just let them apart

mike_i

leave them disconnected start the motor and see what happens to the fuse. You don't want to connect the wires together since one side may be a ground and the other may be 12volts and you'd be shorting 12v straight to ground.

Smd Dotzel

Recruit
Thanks Mike, I did as you suggested and everything worked fine, stopped and started it at least five times and never blew the fuse. At this point do I just need to replace the horn

mike_i

Sounds like the horn is the problem. Before replacing the horn see what you have on each lead with and without the motor on. Do you have a voltmeter?

mike_i

Is there any information that you can read on the horn? Post a picture of the alarm. Do you know what the alarm is for? I'm guessing 12volts is applied to the horn when it needs to be activated. With the horn disconnected and ready to be trashed, measure the resistance of the horn, I'm guessing it will measure 0. Measure resistance between each of the wires to ground, I'm guessing one wire will read 0, that's your ground. I'm guessing the other will read nothing unless something is wrong with your motor and it's trying to alarm as you start the motor.