VP 5.0 2005 vs. Merc 2005

Susanne Curran

Recruit
Our waterway just lost two good mechanics for Volvo Penta. I am replacing a 2002 chap 23 ssi BR I had which was powered by a VP 5.7. Im going to buy the same Chap 23 model I had but have mostly a choice between the smaller VP 5.0 and the Mer 5.0-- or a huge merc or a 7.4 VP. For the smaller motors, how reliable is the Vp 5.0? I only ran the prior boat with the VP 5.7 at 3000 to 3200 RPM with no trouble. Will the VP 5.0 have no trouble at this typical speed with this boat or struggle? Given that there are more Merc mechanics around, is Merc clearly the better choice? Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
Don't know about your area but in most cases it is always easier to find a Merc mechanic then VP. Also parts are usually cheaper if one could look at boat parts being cheap :ROFLMAO:

A 5.0 isn't much better then a V6, I would stick with the 5.7. If you went with a 7.4 you would really like the way the boat comes up fast. Cannot beat the low end torque of a BB

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Our waterway just lost two good mechanics for Volvo Penta. I am replacing a 2002 chap 23 ssi BR I had which was powered by a VP 5.7. Im going to buy the same Chap 23 model I had but have mostly a choice between the smaller VP 5.0 and the Mer 5.0-- or a huge merc or a 7.4 VP. For the smaller motors, how reliable is the Vp 5.0? I only ran the prior boat with the VP 5.7 at 3000 to 3200 RPM with no trouble. Will the VP 5.0 have no trouble at this typical speed with this boat or struggle? Given that there are more Merc mechanics around, is Merc clearly the better choice? Thanks
I would think you want more HP than a 5.0 in a 23 ft boat unless you just putt along.

As mentioned depending on the area, merc mechanics and parts tend to be more available and cheaper.

Susanne Curran

Recruit
a 6.2 is what you should be looking at
The 2003 Chap 23ssi BR Im purchasing has a little freshwater sink in the seating area- behind captain's seat- see attached pic. The seller modified the setup so that different bottles of booze were hooked up to the sink (under the front of helm), an additional spout was installed and buttons were installed that pumped out wine, vodka etc. Pretty cool huh? I think so too although my husband and I want seller to put the sink back the way it originally was. There isn't a sink diagram in my owner's manual. Seller is reluctant to deal with this. Do you think he would he have cut the factory water supply line to the sink to install the plastic tubes underneath that supply sink with various booze? I'm hoping the original supply line would screw off of the sink connection and still be possible to re-attach it. Anyone have experience with this?

Attachments

• IMG-1601.jpg
    IMG-1601.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6

alldodge

Staff member
Don't really know the boat so I'm just going to give a guess

Had a 23ft Rinker with sink in the cuddy. Water supplied from tank beside the motor and drain went out thru the side of the hull below sink. Water pump was turned ON by a switch next to sink.

If water supply line is still there, then may need to just re-connect. A cuddy sink does not have a hot and cold, just a cold line.

Agree, the PO should not reconfigure to original after purchase unless this was in contract prior to purchase.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Based on the picture posted it appears the dispenser system faucet is separate/independent from the fresh water system/faucet

Guessing there may also be a basin/faucet in the head and possibly a spray nozzle/shower near the transom. Looks like the water fill/cap is located port side swim step area. Most likely the water tank and pump are below deck near the fill cap with power switch at the helm

Can't image anyone piping into the fresh water system to dispense alcohol, but some people do odd things. I'd figure the fresh water system is still intact.

Seeing as how most private party used boats are sold as is I'm not surprised the seller is interested in abating the system

You could always abate the system yourself. The only issue you'd face is coving the hole for the dispenser faucet, seller most likely already removed the alcohol