Volvo Tilt/Trim Sensor

JDusza

Ensign
Hi. Posting here because "Volvo". Question is about trim sensor replacement on the Volvo outdrive through the hull. Perhaps question is better posed elsewhere.
I am replacing a trim sensor. I have the old sensor disconnected and hanging but I cannot pull it aft, through the hull. I can just barely get my hand up under the outdrive but I cannot pull the original harness out.
The new sensor harness has the integrated rubber plug to seal through the hull at install, however, I cannot pull the old one out.
My plan was to tie a string to the old harness, pull it aft through the hull, tie on the new harness, feed it back through the hull, fore, snug it up and push it home with a thin drift.
Does anyone have any suggestions? If it matters, it is in a Stingray, attached to a 3.0L.
Thank you,
j

JDusza

Ensign
Ahhhh....I have not removed the pin. The harness actually disappears behind a engine casting on its way to the transom and I don't know if I can reach said pin, but I shall take a look.
Might you have any hints or tips on access?
Looks dicey. lol
Thank you, very much,
J

Last edited:

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
It's a pain to get to depending on the motor configuration. When installing the new one, put some synthetic grease on the rubber part of the sender so it goes in fully into the hull. More fun than removing the cotter pin is putting it back on to the new one.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have done this job 10 times on my boat.
Place a piece of fine string on the cotter pin before you remove it and before the reinstall as it is a pain looking for it in the bildge.
I have been able to reach it with some long nosed pliers.
Frequently the rubber insulation will strip within the rubber plug, but if you make a simple overhand knot in the wires it can be pulled through the transom.
As Horigan said some silicone grease on the rubber will aid it entering and help next time it needs replacing!!!