Volvo DP-SM carrier bearing removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultrium

Seaman Apprentice
I am a pretty proficient DIY'er but I have some concerns that I'm about to enter the dark side w/o the tools or knowledge to get back over... I need to replace the carrier bearing housing in my outdrive b/c (wellll don't ask). You can see in the picture that it is missing a piece. This is on a Volvo DP-SM 1.95 outdrive. I have removed the retainer ring and now I'm ready to remove the housing but I am not sure how to do this.

1. Do I need to remove the outer prop shaft (like the manual says) to pull the carrier bearing housing out?? If not will you please explain how this can be done?

2. If it can't be done the VP Stern drive shop manual says to thread the tube gear remover fully onto the outer prop shaft and tighten the bolt. This will pull the outer propeller shaft and the bearing carrier from the gear case. (I have attached pictures of that part of the manual) If this is correct and the outer shaft comes with it, I assume the bearing carrier will just slide off or will it need to be pressed off? I have a press so that's not a problem.

3. If the only way is to remove the outer prop shaft, what am I getting myself into as far as resetting the gear lash or do I just press it all back in and that it? I have the ability to measure down to the .00001" but if I need to reset gear lash, that might be out of my comfort zone.

4. If there is anything else that I will encounter and just don't know, please fill me in.

Thank you!!
Trey

Attachments

• photo238092.JPG
    photo238092.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 33
  • photo238093.JPG
    photo238093.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 22
  • photo238094.JPG
    photo238094.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 34
  • photo238095.JPG
    photo238095.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 32
  • photo238096.JPG
    photo238096.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 29
Hi Ultrium,

I've got a DPS-A but it's the same procedure. I did it 3 years ago cause my shaft seal rings were shot.
For pulling the carrier, you need a bearing puller (classical one with 3 arms, the cheap chinese puller worked good for me).
Take a look at this photo.( Sorry, it's not perfect but you can see the tip of the puller on it:)
001 (2).jpg

Slide a metallic ring (the bronze hing on the photo) on the outer shaft and screw on the outer prop screw.
Use your bearing puller, pulling on the ring and pressing on the tip of the inner shaft.
The outer shaft comes with the bearing carrier, while the inner shaft stays in.
If you plan to save the outer shaft seal, don't forget to tape the fillet of he inner shaft before you do the job.
Pulling the asembly is not a difficult job.
Changing the shaft seals is another story. I had very hard times doing it. You'll have to order the special tools for pressing the gaskets, and even then it's still difficult.
Wish you good luck !

Ultrium

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you searay. Once you get it out, how did you put it back in? Just rig up some sort of a press, using the inner shaft?

No. No problem to put it back. Just use the assembly screws and tighten them at the good torque it will press in the carrier.
Do you intend to change the carrier ?

Thane2012

Cadet
Looks like you already have the retaining ring off.. To get the bearing housing out you need puller# 884789, this will thread on the the front prop shaft and pull the bearing housing out along with the front prop shaft, the smaller prop shaft will stay put. The bearing carrier will slide right off the prop shaft once its out. Then you can see what you are getting into. You will have to separate the lower unit from the upper to measure rolling torque for assembly. Check out Boatinfo.no they have the Volvo Penta workshop manual, it is great.-Tim

Ultrium

Seaman Apprentice
I decided to go ahead and remove the LU from the outdrive. I removed the 4 nuts and 2 bolts and the LU separated from the middle section but only just alittle. It seems like there is something that is something else that needs to be removed. Is there anything under the outdrive dip stick that has to be removed for the LU to drop?

Thane2012

Cadet
You might have to take off the anode, but it should drop its just a splined shaft and water pick up tube might be holding it up..

Ultrium

Seaman Apprentice
You might have to take off the anode, but it should drop its just a splined shaft and water pick up tube might be holding it up..

I took the anode looking for a "hidden bolt" but that didn't help. I'm sure it hasn't been off in a while, so I'll keep spraying it with blaster and working with it.

Ultrium

Seaman Apprentice
After alittle more pb blaster and heat, I was able to get the LU off. It was corrosion around the 4 bolts that was causing the issue. Thanks for everyone's help.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Ultrium,

I've got a DPS-A but it's the same procedure. I did it 3 years ago cause my shaft seal rings were shot.
For pulling the carrier, you need a bearing puller (classical one with 3 arms, the cheap chinese puller worked good for me).
Take a look at this photo.( Sorry, it's not perfect but you can see the tip of the puller on it:)
View attachment 226490

Slide a metallic ring (the bronze hing on the photo) on the outer shaft and screw on the outer prop screw.
Use your bearing puller, pulling on the ring and pressing on the tip of the inner shaft.
The outer shaft comes with the bearing carrier, while the inner shaft stays in.
If you plan to save the outer shaft seal, don't forget to tape the fillet of he inner shaft before you do the job.
Pulling the asembly is not a difficult job.
Changing the shaft seals is another story. I had very hard times doing it. You'll have to order the special tools for pressing the gaskets, and even then it's still difficult.
Wish you good luck !

Hi - are you saying its possible to pull it without the special tool

Volvo Penta 884789?

Status
Not open for further replies.