Voltage low code 4602-32

alldodge

Staff member
Installed Fell Marine 1stmate
Launched boat and placed in slip, motors started fine with no issues.

Ran phone App setup and reached prompt to kill motors, selected and port motr stopped but starboard did not. Received code for lanyard stop and Low voltage 4603-32 for both motors.

Measured voltages, start 2 Merc AGM at 12.6 and 12.7V, house 1 LA 12.7V
The charger being used is a 3-bank promariner and will charge all types, including Lifpo4. Dealer installed Bats and I tried to get charger to go to GM but after a short period it shifted back to LA. Charger must since types and charges at lower rated one

Disconnected 1stmate and could clear all codes except low voltage and smartcraft display will not power down even with Bat switches OFF. Most likely this is stay keep power. When I turn keys ON I get warning tone for about 5 seconds and motors will fire right up. ALTs are outputting 14.5V

Assumptions
Guessing I'm going to need to replace all Bats, looking at Odyssey Extreme Group 27 and 31. Assuming once Bats are changed smartcraft will clear the code?

My Techmate will not read motors, appears motors are to new and Rinda does not offer an update

Question
Will the code clear when Bats are changed?

Attachments

• 20240425_135538.jpg
    20240425_135538.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6

Fun Times

Staff member
Do you have the Techmate Pro?

Have you had a chance to call them (Rinda) to inquire a bit more info…
Don’t know for sure but a possible thought without investigating might be either possibly using the wrong data link connector adapter type or not plugging it into a correct location to get these particular fault codes.

Pretty sure that pro does G3 stuff so in theory ought to be able to read it at the very least.

Or maybe something is off with the clean power supply part of the system.

alldodge

Staff member
Just looked up the adapters and it list 94032 and 94029

Also noticed mine should be version 3 but I know it's not. Need to download and update. Thanks for the thought, need to go look and find out

I ordered 3 Odyssey group 31 extreme marine Bats, man that was costly but should be here May 2nd

alldodge

Staff member
Oh another goody :poop:
My Techmate is version 2.0 and I need 3.0 which is another $189

Joy Joy, have to wait for it to show up now
Fudge

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Do you have the Techmate Pro?........

.......Pretty sure that pro does G3 stuff so in theory ought to be able to read it at the very least.

Looking at rinda's website it does show the techmate pro and diacom communicate with mercury/mercuisrer g3 (latest versions/updates). Would need the proper harness adapter too.

Can't speak of experience with rinda/diacom g3 capabilities. Most mercs I see are g3 and I use cds g3. Diacom for everything else.

Never seen the 1st mate in the wild. Kinda curious as to your experience with it and rinda once you get it all dialed in

alldodge

Staff member
Have used the original Techmate for years and had good luck with. The main issue is it was only one line display

Bought a used Techmate pro with adapters needed for new motors from OSO. Didn't look into it at the time about software version. This season I want to be able to see % guardian mode and % power to determine if I'm using the correct prop. Member @muc has helped me understand these new motors, sure miss his knowledge on iboats

Fun Times

Staff member
Oh another goody :poop:
My Techmate is version 2.0 and I need 3.0 which is another $189

Joy Joy, have to wait for it to show up now
Fudge
Oh wow, thanks for checking now I need to fire up my pro to see what version I have as well...It's sort of new so hopefully it's 3.0... I'm sure you saw this AD, but just in case someone else is following, it seems once you pay the $189.00 for the 3.0, you then need to turnaround and install the 3.002 that appears free.

Upgrade to 2023 Version 3 here

Latest software update for Version 3 users.

TechMate Pro Software Ver 3.002
(Date: 1/4/2023, Size: 467K)

Note: The update above requires a minimum of Version 3.0
in your current tool.​

alldodge

Staff member
Oh wow, thanks for checking now I need to fire up my pro to see what version I have as well...It's sort of new so hopefully it's 3.0... I'm sure you saw this AD, but just in case someone else is following, it seems once you pay the $189.00 for the 3.0, you then need to turnaround and install the 3.002 that appears free.

Upgrade to 2023 Version 3 here

Latest software update for Version 3 users.

TechMate Pro Software Ver 3.002
(Date: 1/4/2023, Size: 467K)

Note: The update above requires a minimum of Version 3.0
in your current tool.​
Thanks FT for having me take a look. The update Rinda sends is 3.002 this afternoon in a email so least I don't have to do it again

Updating is pretty simple
Download BIN file
Hold down on "view" while plugging usb into computer
Select copy file
Go to Teckmate drive and will see 2 files which one is BIN
Select paste (replacing file) and it will update

alldodge

Staff member
Scanner does not show any voltage codes for either motor, stopped or running. Only shows up when motors are shut down and Bats are turned OFF

As before Vessel view does not turn off (power down) anymore and could be because of the code

Did find code 711 on port motor, starboard has none. Looking at a draft 3.4 and 4.6 manual it list four 711 codes. Anywhere from oil to high/low, to invalid, critical and sensor failure. Should have paid more attention to the dash number. The 711 code may be from the optimax left overs as well

I ordered the service manual from Merc

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Scanner does not show any voltage codes for either motor, stopped or running. Only shows up when motors are shut down and Bats are turned OFF

As before Vessel view does not turn off (power down) anymore and could be because of the code

Did find code 711 on port motor, starboard has none. Looking at a draft 3.4 and 4.6 manual it list four 711 codes. Anywhere from oil to high/low, to invalid, critical and sensor failure. Should have paid more attention to the dash number. The 711 code may be from the optimax left overs as well

I ordered the service manual from Merc
Isn't this boat brandy new and under warranty?

alldodge

Staff member
Isn't this boat brandy new and under warranty?
Yes
Issues which cause me to DIY :
Dealer installed the different Bats even though I noted all say different type Bats should not be installed together.

Dealer said Bats have no more then 1 year warranty, don't want to pay $150 hr to find out Bats are the problem. I'm sure if so they will replace with same and then I'll have a problem same time next year

Dealer is 1.5 hr away and will also tie up the boat no telling how long just to have it looked at

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Only shows up when motors are shut down and Bats are turned OFF

One thing I've noticed on twin mercruiser boats with dts and divorced key switches at the shore panel in the cabin (push to start/stop at helm) is with engine stop engaged and key switches left in the "on" position and battery switches turned off the helm will trigger an audio alarm. Never investigated as to what alarm/fault it is but your experience my lead me to check if it is a low voltage fault. In every instance upon restarting the engines normally the vessel view does not show any faults and I've never investigated further with g3. My guess is its a default way of letting the operator know the key switch(es) are still on and is not a "sticky" fault (won't show up on freeze frame/stored fault list)

Not sure this situation applies to yours but could be similar

alldodge

Staff member
One thing I've noticed on twin mercruiser boats with dts and divorced key switches at the shore panel in the cabin (push to start/stop at helm) is with engine stop engaged and key switches left in the "on" position and battery switches turned off the helm will trigger an audio alarm. Never investigated as to what alarm/fault it is but your experience my lead me to check if it is a low voltage fault. In every instance upon restarting the engines normally the vessel view does not show any faults and I've never investigated further with g3. My guess is its a default way of letting the operator know the key switch(es) are still on and is not a "sticky" fault (won't show up on freeze frame/stored fault list)

Not sure this situation applies to yours but could be similar
Thanks appreciate your in site
I did find similar info on another forum. The guy forgot to turn Bat switches on before trying to start. The error did go away after another proper restart. I do know during my testing I did this once my self.

Yesterday morning I noticed the display was still on but error was not showing. After running test and a couple restarts all looked ok. Soon as I turned switches off the error showed up again

Bats should be here tomorrow

alldodge

Staff member
Went down to boat and found the following

Bats have been off charger for about 36 hours
Lead Acid 12.9V
AGM 12.7 and 12.8V

No codes with motors off on vessel view so 711 was gone
Motors off, VV Battey shows same as meter
Running VV shows both 13.9 to 14.0V

Scanning motors
Starboard
Fault 902 short term fuel trim port, Signal valid but lower than expected

Port
No faults

Engines off, nothing shows on VV
Switches off
Fault 1 and 2 active 4602 23 port and starboard
Fault 3 saved 3061 16 fuel pump stbd pump not working properly
Fault 4 saved 3002 16 active exhaust not working properly stbd
I can clear faults 3 and 4 but not 1 and 2, and VV stays on

Wondering if VV knows that the AGM Bats should be higher and that's what is giving me the trouble. With voltage being different also wonder if these other stary codes come from it

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for looking around FT, that's the same one I found the other day
Is good to post the link in this thread for others

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Engines off, nothing shows on VV
Switches off
Fault 1 and 2 active 4602 23 port and starboard
"FAULT BLOCKER: SYSTEM VOLTAGE
You need to turn your battery switch on. The PCM can wake because CLEAN POWER is provided (as required) via direct connection to the battery. However, MPR voltage is not present because you have the battery switch "off".

In this case, almost certainly caused by a "user error". Turn key off, properly supply battery connection (via switch) and the fault should no longer be actively displayed."