Video: What The Heck is This?? - 1999 VOLVO 4.3 GL - 2 bbl Holley Carbureted, ETS ignition

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Anti Syphon Valve on my boat was stuck closed, the first time I tried the boat. It no longer has the Ball and Spring in it.

ta79pr

Cadet
This is great insight, thank you! The ignition coil I bought is the specific Volvo part # - the distributor I ordered is this one from A-Team, should I cancel that and send it back?
Which distributor did you go with that worked for you?

A-Team Performance - EST Marine Electronic Ignition Distributor EFI - Compatible with Mercruiser Chevy Volvo Penta OMC Indmar 18-5513, 18-5476, 807964A1 V6 4.3L Red Cap​

I chatted with tech support [SWPERFORMANCEPARTS] and they seemed sympathetic, but my guess is they possibly got a mismatched set of modules from their supplier, MOBILETRON. Mobiletron appears to make good stuff, and I may be mistaken, but according to page 157 of their catalog D1965 is the marine one. D1980 is the auto one. The distributor I received had a D1980 installed. The full text stamp was: “Mobiletron IG-D1980C M0819 T9025778-C 2775”

It may not be the D1980 prefix, but perhaps the M0819 suffix. It would not go into base mode, and the timing curve was all wrong. I pulled it right out to return.

I ended up getting an AC Delco stamped distributor [part number 1103782], not sure what module will come on it. I also ordered a standalone A-Team [Mobiletron] module, hoping to get the D1965, or perhaps the “M1017” suffix. Finally, as a backup I got the the industrial engine version of the module from Hyster (forklift): “HYSTER IGNITION IGNITER MODULE 1460387” which has “GM 399 4L01” stamped on it - best I can tell, the “399” being some sort of ACDELCO/GM speak for the marine version - again as a backup.

Link to Mobiletron’s catalog p.157 explaining above:
https://www.mobiletron.com/Content/document/200521-車王-Ignition/mobile/index.html#p=157

Link to standalone module:
A-Team Performance Ignition Module Compatible with GM Mercruiser 3.0L 4 Cyl, 4.3L V-6, 5.3L 5.7L V-8 Engines with Delco EST Ignitions 18-5107-1 — Southwest Performance Parts (swperformanceparts.com)
(again, I am not certain that is the marine flavor of this module, all I can say is that the one I got in my distributor had the wrong module)
Standalone link to Mobiletron D1965: https://www.mobiletron.com/Product/detail/7486/IG-D1965

Good luck.

tampamatt502

Cadet
If the fuel line dips below the level of the tank, an antisiphon is required.
On my boat this was a problem, the engine would start and rev in neutral just fine but would not plane out the boat. I went through the ignition and carb, nothing really amiss, took it to a good marine mechanic and that's what it was. The boat builders sometimes use a cheap one that corrodes, he put in a better quality one and it's been fine since 2004!
View attachment 378030
Ok, no anti siphon- the engines and fuel system are about 2.5 feet above the tank. It’s just hose from the an elbow at the tank to the fuel filter, then pump and short braided line. Glad yours is running good!! :)

tampamatt502

Cadet
I chatted with tech support [SWPERFORMANCEPARTS] and they seemed sympathetic, but my guess is they possibly got a mismatched set of modules from their supplier, MOBILETRON. Mobiletron appears to make good stuff, and I may be mistaken, but according to page 157 of their catalog D1965 is the marine one. D1980 is the auto one. The distributor I received had a D1980 installed. The full text stamp was: “Mobiletron IG-D1980C M0819 T9025778-C 2775”

It may not be the D1980 prefix, but perhaps the M0819 suffix. It would not go into base mode, and the timing curve was all wrong. I pulled it right out to return.

I ended up getting an AC Delco stamped distributor [part number 1103782], not sure what module will come on it. I also ordered a standalone A-Team [Mobiletron] module, hoping to get the D1965, or perhaps the “M1017” suffix. Finally, as a backup I got the the industrial engine version of the module from Hyster (forklift): “HYSTER IGNITION IGNITER MODULE 1460387” which has “GM 399 4L01” stamped on it - best I can tell, the “399” being some sort of ACDELCO/GM speak for the marine version - again as a backup.

https://www.mobiletron.com/Content/document/200521-車王-Ignition/mobile/index.html#p=157

A-Team Performance Ignition Module Compatible with GM Mercruiser 3.0L 4 Cyl, 4.3L V-6, 5.3L 5.7L V-8 Engines with Delco EST Ignitions 18-5107-1 — Southwest Performance Parts (swperformanceparts.com)
(again, I am not certain that is the marine flavor of this module, all I can say is that the one I got in my distributor had the wrong module)
Standalone link to Mobiletron D1965: https://www.mobiletron.com/Product/detail/7486/IG-D1965

Good luck.
Ok, this is great, thanks! I’ll verify tomorrow am. The distributor cap wouldn’t screw down on one side- I suspect this is part of the issue.

tampamatt502

Cadet
Update- Thanks again for all the ideas here folks. I swapped the carburetors from engine to engine and did a sea trial. Still only hitting 3500RPM. So, not the carbs.

No anti-siphon valve inline either- 2.5’ up from tank to fuel filter housing. Will be replacing those lines, they are worn.

Removed the choke wires and sea trialed again, no improvement.

The distributor cap however- right side cap screw hole is stripped out and will not stay down on distributor. There is also damage to the female plug on the module; I put the cap and rotor on from the new distributor and it was clicking away like a tap dancer when running, I held it down and there’s a bit of gap happening. It’s lifting up.

Tomorrow- new distributor install, verify TDC, RE-do compression check personally (sus initial data of 195 all except one at 175), time engine, new plugs (test each plug) as I go.

Anything else to check / verify?

Does it make sense that the motor would dip / drop / surge ~ 500RPM under load and not make initial wot RPM on trying to plane out acceleration if the distributor cap is jumping up from the rotor / distributor? Is that would would happen if that’s the cause?

tampamatt502

Cadet
4F8E2FE9-3520-4525-A96E-425B8834A6DB.jpegPS
I'd like to see what the spark plugs look like, good engine vs the one that is surging.
blistered white electrodes, fuel starvation...float too low....anti siphon clogged...
black electrodes, maybe choke not staying open float too high, grit in needle valve
one last thing I'm assuming electric fuel pumps, have you checked fuel pressure? Only 5-7 psi need for a carbed engine.
I love the 1966 tech! If it breaks down on me 12 miles offshore with the kids and wife I have a good chance at fixing whatever is wrong with simple tools and no computer needed. I’m not a Luddite, I have a 2023 M2 MacBook Pro, tech where it makes sense. Displacement where it doesn’t :)

I want to just toss these 4.3 GL and drop in 5.7 GL Volvos, they boat is underpowered with them… that may be my next garage project.

I’ll get a picture of the plugs for you in the am. When I swapped the carbs it was throwing out a lot of black smoke, that was also without choke wires attached it smelled similar to an organic / simple material house / barn fire. (Retired firefighter). Port motor wasn’t smoking at all though with the carb from the problem child starboard motor. 🤷🏼

Edit- what is the procedure for checking fuel pressure? They are electric pumps.

Photos below are with old carbs + one gratuitous Florida boating photo- Flipperina the wake jumping, prop-wash surfing dolphin. :)03652875-9CB9-41AF-A82A-899870D40D9F.png

Attachments

• 9E6CEC30-7BCC-4F3C-BF11-218B9268CB1E.jpeg
    9E6CEC30-7BCC-4F3C-BF11-218B9268CB1E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 3AD704BD-D66A-43BF-B90A-C3E9C658FBDB.jpeg
    3AD704BD-D66A-43BF-B90A-C3E9C658FBDB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • DE799C3F-C808-4D67-91D8-13D31E65DBFB.jpeg
    DE799C3F-C808-4D67-91D8-13D31E65DBFB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Good call on the choke, it’s been problematic on my old carbs. I’m just going to disconnect it, we don’t need choke here in Florida but maybe 1 day a year. :cool:
just properly adjust the choke. the holley carb hasnt changed much in 60 years. Just as easy to get working correctly as 6 year old me found out nearly 50 years ago

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Update- Thanks again for all the ideas here folks. I swapped the carburetors from engine to engine and did a sea trial. Still only hitting 3500RPM. So, not the carbs.

No anti-siphon valve inline either- 2.5’ up from tank to fuel filter housing. Will be replacing those lines, they are worn.

Removed the choke wires and sea trialed again, no improvement.

The distributor cap however- right side cap screw hole is stripped out and will not stay down on distributor. There is also damage to the female plug on the module; I put the cap and rotor on from the new distributor and it was clicking away like a tap dancer when running, I held it down and there’s a bit of gap happening. It’s lifting up.

Tomorrow- new distributor install, verify TDC, RE-do compression check personally (sus initial data of 195 all except one at 175), time engine, new plugs (test each plug) as I go.

Anything else to check / verify?

Does it make sense that the motor would dip / drop / surge ~ 500RPM under load and not make initial wot RPM on trying to plane out acceleration if the distributor cap is jumping up from the rotor / distributor? Is that would would happen if that’s the cause?
If you think the fuel lines look bad from the outside I would replace them could be degraded on inside?

Can you rig up a fuel pressure gauge to watch while running

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I still am going with incoming fuel pressure. measure the fuel pressure.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Ok, no anti siphon- the engines and fuel system are about 2.5 feet above the tank.

I find it hard to believe there isn't an anti siphon valve in the fuel system. Have you verified by removing the fuel line from the tank barbed fitting (which is most likely the anti siphon valve) and inspecting?

Agree with others as to your issue being fuel supply. You need to confirm the anti siphon valve is in place, then test fuel pressure and vacuum

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed I also think on any inboard gas fuel system they would install an anti siphon valve.

ta79pr

Cadet

Good luck.
Update:
The “HYSTER IGNITION IGNITER MODULE 1460387” which has “GM 399 4L01” seems to work perfectly, it has base mode, and the curve is correct. It appears to me to be legit GM OEM part in case anyone is searching.
Front side: GM 399 4L01 466
Backside: 399 6D50-02 SINGAPORE
Reference paperwork in the box says: 1875990 1979554 DR-6644