Valve lifter reassembly SBC

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My mercruiser manual says to fill the lifter body with oil during reassembling.
What's the porpose of this ?
Also when installing back in block is oil okay for the outside or should I use engine moly?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Filling the lifter is like priming a pump, it helps to make it work.

I use the same oil as filling the lifter.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... They're Hydraulic,..... No oil, no work,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I soak the lifters in oil (big tuperware container) and then prior to assembly, I cycle the plunger under the oil to expel air and draw in oil

since you have a flat tappet block you are putting back together. make sure that if you are using used cam and lifters that the lifters are mated to the exact cam lobe

once flat tappet cam/lifters are broke in, they are mated for life. if you mix them up, throw them out now, because it will cost you more when they fail and the glitter fairy "blesses" your engine with worn cam and lifter bits

flashback

Captain
They don't like being dry and will fail quickly, and they DO mate for life, be sure you put them back in the same place. All the above posts, good stuff!

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the great info.
The pump prime sounds like a good explanation. It sounds like getting all the air out is a good thing so bubbles don't stay trapped in there.

Thanks for confirmation of my obsession for keeping things in order of how they came out.

The first attempt to run engine, 4 of them were not oiling the rockers. A couple of them are rock hard and can barely remove retainer. When I take apart and clean, put back together per service manual, still rock hard. Is the oil I used too thick? Are the softer ones Bad?
I pinch a penny hard enough to make Lincoln cry. Trying not to have to buy a new set

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks for all the great info.
The pump prime sounds like a good explanation. It sounds like getting all the air out is a good thing so bubbles don't stay trapped in there.

Thanks for confirmation of my obsession for keeping things in order of how they came out.

The first attempt to run engine, 4 of them were not oiling the rockers. A couple of them are rock hard and can barely remove retainer. When I take apart and clean, put back together per service manual, still rock hard. Is the oil I used too thick? Are the softer ones Bad?
I pinch a penny hard enough to make Lincoln cry. Trying not to have to buy a new set
if you cant compress the lifter without oil pressure keeping it pumped up....... its toast

having 4 bad lifters would make me buy a complete new cam and lifter set

I understand trying to make copper wire by stretching a penny, however at some point, you have to open the wallet and just get the project done.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I soak the lifters in oil (big tuperware container) and then prior to assembly, I cycle the plunger under the oil to expel air and draw in oil

since you have a flat tappet block you are putting back together. make sure that if you are using used cam and lifters that the lifters are mated to the exact cam lobe

once flat tappet cam/lifters are broke in, they are mated for life. if you mix them up, throw them out now, because it will cost you more when they fail and the glitter fairy "blesses" your engine with worn cam and lifter bits
When you cycle the plunger in the oil bath, do they get REALLY hard to depress when the air is gone?

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Reading Melling literature they say from retainer to seat is .02 - .06 pre load when lash is correct. Is that what you mean by harder but not solid? Should I be able to depress it further when full of oil?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Lifter not in a bore, and not supplied with pressurized oil should be able to have the piston pushed all the way in, expelling the oil

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Check the install instructions for your new lifters. My new Comp Cams roller lifters said they come pre-primed so not to prime them. I will probably still prime the engine even though I used assembly lube throughout and it said to not prime the lifters as described above.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ignored the Merc service manual about filling with oil during reassembling and did as Scott said with soak and plunge.
Also cleaned check balls on non oilers.
Success! Was able to get proper lash pre load adjustment and compression with oil to all rockers.
Thanks for helping me