Value of "Vintage" outboard?

fish4lunch

Cadet
It's a five hp Sea King from the early 60's. Does run good! Is there much of a market for these older outboards? Have the motor, tank, hoses, and kicker bracket included.

Attachments

• IMG_6966.jpg
    IMG_6966.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 14

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A motor that was built by Johnson / Evinrude.------Fact----Most shops will not work on older motors.----Therefor older motors have little value for the general public.----That is a simple , easy to maintain motor.----Consumable parts are easy to find.----These are often listed at $150 or less.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I remember those well from my youth working at a marina next door. Had a couple on our rental boats. Good memories, that motor looks to be in pretty good shape !! In my area, small motors can be a hot item, but still 100 - 250 tops is about it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are but few folks today who can recognize the simplicity / easy to repair features of this motor.-----Parts are cheap and readily available.------And it is a 2 stroke running at 24:1 and many folks think a 2 stroke is a second class motor.-----Modern folks want a plastic disposable 4 stroke.

fish4lunch

Cadet
Pretty sure it's a 1962 Sea King made by Gale for Monkey Wards. And it runs! Was the kicker on a boat I bought and don't need it. Also would nclude 2 - 3 gallon tanks, hose, and kicker motor bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_7460.MOV
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7453.jpg
    IMG_7453.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as far as value. that was covered above

I have a 59 vintage gale that has sentimental value. so that will become wall-art. the two early 50's Mercs (Mark 7 and Mark 20) were sold for about 200 for the pair after having listed for almost a year.