Two drain holes?

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Good afternoon,

I have a question about my boat which is a 1980 16x54 smoker craft.

My boat has 2 holes that are around the size of drain plugs. The first one is in the traditional back of the transom a drain plug fits into this well.

The second hole is actually in the bottom of the hull. It is in back of the boat toward the stern just in front of the transom. It seems to be a little bigger than a traditional drain plug hole. I was wondering what the drain plug hole in the bottom of the hull is for? Also is there a better way to actually plug this than just a drain plug? The drain plug sits below the bottom of the boat which isn't ideal for the shallow water I fish.

I can post a picture this evening or tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Rob

airshot

Rear Admiral
The one in the bottom, does it have a clam shell like cover on it on the outside of the hull ?? If so...these are designed to suck water out while underway when plug is pulled. If no clamshell covering on the bottom..then I don't know.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
The one in the bottom, does it have a clam shell like cover on it on the outside of the hull ?? If so...these are designed to suck water out while underway when plug is pulled. If no clamshell covering on the bottom..then I don't know.
Finally remembered to get a picture. As you can see I’ve got the traditional drain plug at the back of my boat any then this weird hole in the bottom. It’s too big for a traditional drain plug, so I don’t know what to put I there to fill it. I need something super shallow so it doesn’t drag the bottom

Attachments

• 61526BF4-5911-4FBC-A445-722169655874.jpeg
    61526BF4-5911-4FBC-A445-722169655874.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

flashback

Captain
Finally remembered to get a picture. As you can see I’ve got the traditional drain plug at the back of my boat any then this weird hole in the bottom. It’s too big for a traditional drain plug, so I don’t know what to put I there to fill it. I need something super shallow so it doesn’t drag the bottom
I think i see daylight thru the hole and have no idea what it's for. maybe you could remove the extra metal plate and replace it with a new solid plate?

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I think i see daylight thru the hole and have no idea what it's for. maybe you could remove the extra metal plate and replace it with a new solid plate?
You do see daylight thought that hole. I took out that plug to drain the water out of my boat last night. It’s been filling up. I think from there.

Attachments

• FE2626F7-CD9A-4CC3-890A-B334F15145C4.jpeg
    FE2626F7-CD9A-4CC3-890A-B334F15145C4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I never thought to replace the piece, such a simple idea 🤓. I’m gonna try a plug first but that seems like a very logical next step

flashback

Captain
I'm guessing that it may have had a thru hull fitting at one time to feed water to a live well. If you have no need for it I would cover it permanently by replacing the plate with a solid piece of aluminum. Like you mentioned the hole is in a place where a plug could get knocked out by mistake.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I'm guessing that it may have had a thru hull fitting at one time to feed water to a live well. If you have no need for it I would cover it permanently by replacing the plate with a solid piece of aluminum. Like you mentioned the hole is in a place where a plug could get knocked out by mistake.
I will take your advice and cover with a solid piece of metal. I believe it will be a much needed fix on my otherwise great boat.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Gonna bet it was added somewhere in its life, might have had a clamshell cover at one time........??
I bet i did but who knows! The floors were replaced on my boat prior to buying it so I haven't taken the deck out to this point.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think that plate was added at a later time. See the rust on the screws. Myself would do as suggested, put a solid plate on there. Preferably riveted with solid rivits, or have a plug welded in at a good aluminum welding shop.