Trim up not working.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2 relay trim motor with white plastic reservoir on bottom in a 1988 Cobalt with Mercury v8 motor,
The trim switch at the throttle will not raise the trim, no hum or click at motor, the switch does raise the trim though. I also have separate dashboard mounted trailering switch and that does raise the trim. I did some experimenting and i jumped both relays at the pump and that enabled the up and down cycle individually.
BTW-Can someone explain the difference to me between the up trim switch and the trailering switch, is it just to save my butt in situations like this?
Lastly while i was there, i removed all the old fluid with turkey baster and refilled with fresh tranny fluid. I overfilled the reservoir and fluid immediately started to seep out of the upper seam on tank. Is that a vent there to atmosphere or do i have a crack along the seam. I reduced the volume of fluid and it stopped.
Thanks

todhunter

Canoeist
Trailer switch raises the drive with no limit on where it will stop until its all the way up. Trim up button raises the drive but stops when the trim limit switch is tripped, so you don't trim up too far with the engine running. Sounds like your trim limit switch may be out of adjustment or the switch or associated wiring may be bad. The trim limit switch is mounted on one side of the gimbal ring. Replacement isn't the easiest job, so if it needs more than adjusting, you can just continue to use the trailer button to trim up...just don't trim to the point your u-joints start making noise.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
I understand the trim limit switch function. What does the sender switch do, Is that the trim gauge indication? My trim gauge has always been erratic, dancing back and forth as trim went up and down, if that means anything.
thanks

CapriBX

Seaman
I understand the trim limit switch function. What does the sender switch do, Is that the trim gauge indication? My trim gauge has always been erratic, dancing back and forth as trim went up and down, if that means anything.
thanks
Sender switch gives the trim angle and "sends" it to the gauge. Mine doesn't work I don't think...

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trailer switch raises the drive with no limit on where it will stop until its all the way up. Trim up button raises the drive but stops when the trim limit switch is tripped, so you don't trim up too far with the engine running. Sounds like your trim limit switch may be out of adjustment or the switch or associated wiring may be bad. The trim limit switch is mounted on one side of the gimbal ring. Replacement isn't the easiest job, so if it needs more than adjusting, you can just continue to use the trailer button to trim up...just don't trim to the point your u-joints start making noise.
i researched the repair job and it is laborious. I would think that there is an easier way, how about splicing the wires to add a new switch and sender? I could make a nice solder connection, then waterproof connector. I know my home well pump has wires submerged in water 24x7 and uses a special type of waterproof shrink connector with grease inside? they last indefinitely. Additionally, my boat is strictly freshwater so no corrosive saltwater.

Bondo

Staff member
i researched the repair job and it is laborious. I would think that there is an easier way, how about splicing the wires to add a new switch and sender? I could make a nice solder connection, then waterproof connector. I know my home well pump has wires submerged in water 24x7 and uses a special type of waterproof shrink connector with grease inside? they last indefinitely. Additionally, my boat is strictly freshwater so no corrosive saltwater.
Ayuh,.... The usual problem is the wires, not the sender, or switch,....