Trim/ tilt Volvo dp1?

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased a 1994 Cobalt 272 with a 454 DP- 1 Volvo Penta. It looks like the PO swapped out the controls to a MerCruiser unit. It has a trim switch on the throttle handle but there is also a rocker switch rear ward of the assembly that is separate. Assuming that the switch on the handle is for trim and The Rocker is for tilt and trailer mode. The problem I have is both the trim switch and the rocker switch will run the full gamut from all the way down to full trailer tilt. Is there a way to stop the trim where it is trimmed all the way up and not getting into the trailer mode area of the travel?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I purchased a 1994 Cobalt 272 with a 454 DP- 1 Volvo Penta. It looks like the PO swapped out the controls to a MerCruiser unit. It has a trim switch on the throttle handle but there is also a rocker switch rear ward of the assembly that is separate. Assuming that the switch on the handle is for trim and The Rocker is for tilt and trailer mode. The problem I have is both the trim switch and the rocker switch will run the full gamut from all the way down to full trailer tilt. Is there a way to stop the trim where it is trimmed all the way up and not getting into the trailer mode area of the travel?
Use the factory service manual and trouble shoot what you have. Find what is wrong and repair back to factory