Transom material

rob 135

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I’m gathering supplies for my transom repair on my Chris craft . While at work today I had idea . I run a bowling alley and have many synthetic lane panels around. . There would be no rot or water absorption and very very strong. My question is about glassing them in . Will epoxy work ? Any thoughts

Attachments

• photo328110.jpg
    photo328110.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo328111.jpg
    photo328111.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo328112.jpg
    photo328112.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
2 questions. Look at the specs and see if it is as strong as similar sized plywood. And is glass compatible with it. Simple test lay some on it and see if it sticks or like plastic repels. Falls right off.

After these 2 things are answered with correct results go with it.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
From my 5 minutes of google research, it looks like synthetic bowling lane panels are made from phenolic (most likely a combination of phenolic resin with paper or glass)... Epoxy should bond well with phenolic, but you would need to sand the surface down past any of the appearance layers to the base material. Phenolic is extremely strong and stable so if you're getting this stuff for free, you may have found a jackpot of material... Only downside is its probably pretty heavy once you get it 2" thick, compared to plywood or coosa...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Paper base/additive is a little spooky. Get the correct specs as discussed.

rob 135

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was thinking of weight too . I have a lot of it . If anything will be good for decking .