Torque Roll?

harringtondav

Commander
Our new boat per my sig is great. We love it. But it does have a small issue that bugs me. When I throttle up, normally hole shot fashion, it rolls noticeably starboard, counterclockwise. Underway on plane it tends to list a bit the same with just me and the little wife riding shotgun. Weight distribution is light on the starboard side with just PFDs, docking fenders, lines and towels. The boat floats level, no list. Torque roll was my best guess, but with RH prop rotation I'd think it would roll clockwise.
It is a Regal with their Fastrac hull, which planes fast and level as advertised. Other than adding a starboard trim tab....which I probably won't do, I'm at a loss for a remedy, if there is one.
Thoughts please.

tpenfield

Staff member
Hello @harringtondav
Extra weight (on port side) or trim tabs are about your best approaches. What is the pitch of the prop and are you reaching your specified RPM's at WOT?

SX outdrive is single prop (right?)

harringtondav

Commander
Hello @harringtondav
Extra weight (on port side) or trim tabs are about your best approaches. What is the pitch of the prop and are you reaching your specified RPM's at WOT?

SX outdrive is single prop (right?)
Yes, SX is a single. WOT on this engine is 5400-5800. The original VP 3 blade 21P alum prop ran at 5800 rpm, and slipped at 18%. I have a SS 3 blade 22P and and a 4 blade alum 21P that both hold WOT to 5400 with much less slip. ...seems the new props cause more roll.
Passenger seating layout is great with the walk through to the swim platform. But it results in more people on the starboard side seating pit. I have to bribe people to ride in the bow.....especially women. And it takes tact to ask the heavier woman to sit on the port side of the bench.
But as stated above, with only my 112# wife up front the power up roll still happens.
Regal layout.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
But it results in more people on the starboard side seating pit. I have to bribe people to ride in the bow.....especially women. And it takes tact to ask the heavier woman to sit on the port side of the bench.
But as stated above, with only my 112# wife up front the power up roll still happens.
Best case for helm adjustable tabs I’ve read in a while.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Just tell people you have to balance the load in the boat being small.
Starboard is the Right Side when Viewed from behind, a Prop spinning Clockwise(RH) should cause a Boat to List to Port.
1659708006311.png

harringtondav

Commander
Just tell people you have to balance the load in the boat being small.
Starboard is the Right Side when Viewed from behind, a Prop spinning Clockwise(RH) should cause a Boat to List to Port.
View attachment 367319
Thanks. I'm a bit dyslexic. It does roll to port. ...I shoulda just said 'left', but I was trying to act salty. I do have fore-aft, bow-stern down solid though.
I guess if the take off roll bugs me enough I can steer a bit right/starboard when coming up...assuming no traffic close.

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have to bribe people to ride in the bow.....especially women. And it takes tact to ask the heavier woman to sit on the port side of the bench.
Lol. I can think of one potential rider I'm not sure I'd want to take, for that reason. It'd prob be fine though.

I don't really like people sitting in the bow while I'm underway; blocks my vision. And I'm tall enough in the body that I look over the windshield. Kinda shoots down the "bowrider" thing though...

Earl Cordova

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My last boat had a similar problem. When cruising I would have people move around to level things out.