Tip for first start of the season?

JohnWI

Seaman
RE: my 70 Horse Ev.

My Dad gave me his "tip" that whenever he's firing up after sitting for the winter, he will use the pull cord to turn the motor over a bit before using the electric start. His thought is it's gentler on the impeller (no we don't follow the rules about changing it out annually (read- once since 1970 if you can believe it).

So I'm asking your opinions: does it make some sense (assuming, of course, that the engine is in water during said procedure)?

Now if so, I was thinking about taking it one step further. Doing that single rope pull wound BACKWARDS. My thought was that due to the way the impeller sits in the pump, assuming it is sort of sticking to the sleeve, wouldn't it break free even easier? Granted it may not circulate any water, but I think it'd be easier to loosen it up.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tip for first start of the season?

Might not be a bad idea to pull the engine over a few times by hand with the water pump in the water. However, turning it backwards makes no sense to me, especially with that old impeller. The impeller vanes are curved in the pump housing in the running direction of rotation, so turning it backwards won't help anything. It may caused the vanes to break off. That may happen anyway with an old brittle impeller. Strongly recommend replacing it before starting that motor.

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, you must like living on the edge! Hopefully you don't go to far from the landing! Like said above, turning it backwards probably does more harm then good. Not sure it really makes sense to do that for the impeller, not a bad idea just to make sure everything feels "normal" .

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you have it in the water you don't have to worry about it if it's the first time you crank it over.

JohnWI

Seaman

Thanks guys, I think I was mistaken on the way the impeller sits in the cup. Backwards would likely twist things up in a bad way.
PS....mine's no where near new, I want to say about 5 years old with moderate use. Dad's is used about 15 hours a year and his went out in about '95 so he got about 25 years from his in his 60HP. I'm going to say he's the one on the edge as his will now be approaching 18 years.