Tin boat prices

FLATHEAD

Captain
Time to upgrade my junker 14 foot aluminum reservoir electric only boat. It’s seen better days. Been looking at used 16 foot flat bottom jon boats, nothing fancy just plain Jane basic boat, signs of wear and tear acceptable , most include a trailer of various states of quality. I can’t find anything within 100 miles that’s decent for under 1800$ Just a few years ago tons were for sale in the 500 to 600 dollar range.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yeah, boat prices went nuts during the Pandemic and don't really seem to be coming down much. Two years ago I got a $6,000 offer on my Kingfisher.

I should have taken it! :ROFLMAO:

flashback

Captain
I don't follow it but I suspect scrap metal values have gone up with everything else.

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The pandemic sent prices on everything through the roof.

I think this used market is very dependent on local conditions. Your post made me go out to Craigslist for my area. There were three aluminum boats like you're looking for, all under $1500 with trailer. One boat was advertised with a $775 price. One had an outboard of unknown serviceability; all advertised clean titles for boat and trailer. The trailers were all "mismatched", meaning that they obviously were paired with the hull well after original purchase. All three boats would need work, but looked doable.

I bought my first boat in May 2020; I got a 14' Lund with trailer, outboard, and trolling motor for $1200. I've spent a fair amount over the past three seasons to upgrade, refit, and modify stuff. I have about $7K into it now, and it's a decent fishing boat for the small and medium lakes in my area.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
In our area, the small tinny market seems unpredictable. Even during the pandemic, prices and supplies were erratic... one month, there would be a number of reasonably priced boats popping up on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, then a month or two later, there were almost none available and those that were for sale were asking crazy prices.

The market for larger boats was much less volatile and prices were consistently high for what you were buying.

FLATHEAD

Captain
In our area, the small tinny market seems unpredictable. Even during the pandemic, prices and supplies were erratic... one month, there would be a number of reasonably priced boats popping up on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, then a month or two later, there were almost none available and those that were for sale were asking crazy prices.

The market for larger boats was much less volatile and prices were consistently high for what you were buying.
Don’t get me wrong there are aluminum jons here under $1800, most are under 14 feet and a lot if not most of the 14’s reasonably priced have narrow beams and need help. Winter is setting in and I suspect a few good ones will pop up. Last winter I sold my Lowe deep V to get into a mod V suited more for one of the local lakes. I searched around and most private sellers thought they had gold. I finally found a boat I liked with ten hours on the motor at a marina 100 miles away. They were more willing to deal than private guys. I made an offer 3500 less than asking and they sold it to me for 10 out the door equipped just like you see with exception of the Garmin. I use the heck out of it. IMG_5162.jpeg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Don’t get me wrong there are aluminum jons here under $1800, most are under 14 feet and a lot if not most of the 14’s reasonably priced have narrow beams and need help. Winter is setting in and I suspect a few good ones will pop up. Last winter I sold my Lowe deep V to get into a mod V suited more for one of the local lakes. I searched around and most private sellers thought they had gold. I finally found a boat I liked with ten hours on the motor at a marina 100 miles away. They were more willing to deal than private guys. I made an offer 3500 less than asking and they sold it to me for 10 out the door equipped just like you see with exception of the Garmin. I use the heck out of it. View attachment 390675
Nice Tracker-style boat!

Have you extended your search area? I keep my FB search parameter at 500 miles and that certainly provides more opportunities, even if I decide not to travel. Might work for you as well.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Nice Tracker-style boat!

Have you extended your search area? I keep my FB search parameter at 500 miles and that certainly provides more opportunities, even if I decide not to travel. Might work for you as well.
Thanks that’s a crestliner. No wood at all in the construction, all aluminum.

I hear ya but I’m 100% not willing to travel those kinds of distance for a 14 foot jon boat. Big part of the reason is seems majority have questionable trailers. Within 100 miles there are some very populated areas. Something will come up, I hope. If not I use my old one next year again.

aspeck

Staff member
I will keep an eye out in this area for a deal … you need a trip to Raystown!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Since reading this post I Craiglist'd across the country and there are good deals out there. You just have to seek them out and go through the trouble to go the distance and make the deal.......good hunting.

FLATHEAD

Captain
I finally found a replacement boat for my electric only lake. 2020 Alumacraft 1542 (62 inch beam) on a 2019 load rite trailer. Both in nice shape, some normal Jon boat scratches. The factory paint on these utility jons gets a mark when you look at it. Plenty light enough and not as wide as a 48. My motors should push this thing around nicely, and plenty of room for a grandson to join me. Got the whole shebang for 1500$ over 1000 under asking price.
IMG_5422.jpeg

airshot

Rear Admiral
Flat btm boats seem to have gone up faster than V btms in price. When I bought my V btm, drove over 200 miles with cash in hand. Three others were waiting when I arrived, the owner held it until I got there as I had called first. Actually 15 min after he posted his ad !! Gotta stay on the ready when shopping.
Looks like a nice boat there, consider yourself lucky to have found it !!

FLATHEAD

Captain
Looks like a nice boat there, consider yourself lucky to have found it !!
I do feel fortunate. The thing is like new aside from a few blemishes.
It will be replacing this old one. It was beat when I got it 20 years ago.Had a tree fall on it to cause that big dent and bend the starboard side. A couple years ago a barn collapsed on it. Amazingly the thing does not leak a drop.

IMG_1429.jpeg

Left the shaft on that terrova long knowing I’d replace the boat. Just took me years longer than expected to do that. Now I can finally cut the shaft to fit the new boat

Pulling it out of the barn. Turn on sound for full effect 😁

airshot

Rear Admiral
I do feel fortunate. The thing is like new aside from a few blemishes.
It will be replacing this old one. It was beat when I got it 20 years ago.Had a tree fall on it to cause that big dent and bend the starboard side. A couple years ago a barn collapsed on it. Amazingly the thing does not leak a drop.

View attachment 392249

Left the shaft on that terrova long knowing I’d replace the boat. Just took me years longer than expected to do that. Now I can finally cut the shaft to fit the new boat

Pulling it out of the barn. Turn on sound for full effect 😁
Why cut it, never know what the future might hold...if it isn't bothering anything and it looks like a remote steering, why not leave it long...can't add it back on !!

FLATHEAD

Captain
Why cut it, never know what the future might hold...if it isn't bothering anything and it looks like a remote steering, why not leave it long...can't add it back on !!
I sometimes get into some shallow water. I have it set where it should be and that puts the control head way too high. Not really an issue when I’m alone, but the kids will be aboard fishing and it’ll get in the way. You can buy new shafts if that need ever arises.

crazedalizamg

Recruit
The pandemic sent prices on everything through the roof.

I think this used market is very dependent on local conditions. Your post made me go out to Craigslist for my area. There were three aluminum boats like you're looking for, all under $1500 with trailer. One boat was advertised with a $775 price. One had an outboard of unknown serviceability; all advertised clean titles for boat and trailer. The trailers were all "mismatched", meaning that they obviously were paired with the hull well after original purchase. All three boats would need work, but looked doable.

I bought my first boat in May 2020; I got a 14' Lund with trailer, outboard, and trolling motor for $1200. I've spent a fair amount over the past three seasons to upgrade, refit, and modify stuff. I have about $7K into it now, and it's a decent fishing boat for the small and medium lakes in my area. This is already normal, wow. I can't even imagine this. I'm just getting goosebumps right now. I also sometimes use https://studyhelper.com/argumentative-essay-samples but not as often as I would like. Everything has its own rules. In general, I like your opinion. That's how it should be
There is simply nowhere for prices to rise. What happens next is horror!

FLATHEAD

Captain
I drove from TN to MN just because it was the boat i was hunting for, bonus it was a great price.

They seem to be fairly normal around here

With motor which you didnt need.
About what a 40 year old v- bottom boats and motors go for around here maybe a bit high.
You selling? Listed as for sale in Nashville area.