Time for a new battery charger

bullsnot

Seaman
Hey all,

I need to put a new charger in my 26 foot Rinker cabin cruiser. The old one is dead. What do y’all recommend? Most of the chargers I see available already have a regular 110v plug on it. But my charger is hard wired and does not utilize a plug. I need a 2 bank. Advice please. Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A good pair of side cutters solves the connector problem.

Can't help with the 2 bank charger.
I use a single charger and let the ACR do it's thing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, everyone gets worked up about battery chargers. How long are you leaving it on, what is their amp hours, how long do you want a full charge to take.

Lets say 4 batteries, and a maintenance charge over the winter. So maybe 6-8 amp battery charger. If you can connect the batteries in parallel, a single charger does it.

let's assume a 26 footer has 4 batteries, on 2 battery switches. Let's further assume you want a maintenance dose when the boat is moored. Let's assume a hard wire charger. You could buy a 6-8 amp charger and splice in new terminals to charge all batteries. Gee, cut off the alligator clips and solder in some 3/8" marine ring terminals. It will save you hundreds of $US.

airshot

Rear Admiral
While not marine apporoved I am sure, my boat has multiple chargers built in. There is a heavy duty extension cord running under the decking with multiple outlets for 110v plugs. All the chargers (3) plug into the main power cord then a plug comes out of a small hatch where my cord in my barn plugs in. Park my boat, plug it in and all the chargers charge their respective batteries. If you don't want the plug, cut it off and add whatever connector you want.

alldodge

Staff member
Hey all,

I need to put a new charger in my 26 foot Rinker cabin cruiser. The old one is dead. What do y’all recommend? Most of the chargers I see available already have a regular 110v plug on it. But my charger is hard wired and does not utilize a plug. I need a 2 bank. Advice please. Thanks.
Would like to see a pic, but I'll guess you may be looking at a Isolator and not a Bat charger

Wanting a 2-bank, look into Guest or Noco

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
why do you guys need the battery to be fully charged when the boat is sitting in the shed .
i understand keeping battery's on tenders when moored or penned to keep on board systems like , bilge pumps , cameras ,etc alive , but in a shed i just dis connect the battery or take them out and use them in my vehicles.

i accidentally left the battery connected in my Maxum for just on a month , had no problem whatsoever starting it the night befo9re we intended to use the boat , stuck it on the charger for only 10 min or so and charger flashed as full

airshot

Rear Admiral
why do you guys need the battery to be fully charged when the boat is sitting in the shed .
i understand keeping battery's on tenders when moored or penned to keep on board systems like , bilge pumps , cameras ,etc alive , but in a shed i just dis connect the battery or take them out and use them in my vehicles.

i accidentally left the battery connected in my Maxum for just on a month , had no problem whatsoever starting it the night befo9re we intended to use the boat , stuck it on the charger for only 10 min or so and charger flashed as full
When you have multiple uses for a battery they will have a longer healthier life. They are made to be used...however, most all battery mfgrs recomend keeping a battery near full charge when not in use, is better for long life.. Just leaving it on a charger is not that good either, a proper " maintainer" cycles the battery like it is being used to keep it healthier. If you don't want to keep a battery on a charger, just check it every couple weeks and when it drops a couple tenths of a volt, then connect to a trickle charger to bring it back up, then take it back off, then repeat.....or, you can let the maintener do it for you.....which is easier ??

bullsnot

Seaman
Most the responses here aren’t making much sense. Larger boats have onboard chargers and are pretty standard. To charge the batteries you plug it in to shore power or run a generator, very similar to an RV. First it’s useful at the dock or with a generator. I often slip my boat for periods over the summer. You can run all of your 12v devices and the batteries will not drain. Second it’s useful in running the fridge overnight before a lake trip. You cool down the 12v fridge but keep batteries topped off. Third putting a battery tender on this boat is a huge pain. I won’t go into it beyond that. Lastly it’s significantly lengthens battery life when using a good charger and they are always topped off and ready to go. I was looking at a ProNautic or something similar but was looking for potentially less expensive options. Just looking for some feedback.

alldodge

Staff member
Most the responses here aren’t making much sense. Larger boats have onboard chargers and are pretty standard. To charge the batteries you plug it in to shore power or run a generator, very similar to an RV. First it’s useful at the dock or with a generator. I often slip my boat for periods over the summer. You can run all of your 12v devices and the batteries will not drain. Second it’s useful in running the fridge overnight before a lake trip. You cool down the 12v fridge but keep batteries topped off. Third putting a battery tender on this boat is a huge pain. I won’t go into it beyond that. Lastly it’s significantly lengthens battery life when using a good charger and they are always topped off and ready to go. I was looking at a ProNautic or something similar but was looking for potentially less expensive options. Just looking for some feedback.
Lets see if I can help, and HEY guys I will get some things wrong :unsure:

Post 2 & 4 do not know if you actually have a Bat charger because you said there is no 120VAC plug. Post 2 used the side cutter comment to just cut the thing out and start over. Post 4 said post a pic so we can see what you have

Post 2 & 4 on charger. Post 2 uses a Automatic Charge Relay (ACR) and only needs a single bank charger because once the start Bat is fully charged the ACR connects to 2nd Bat and starts charging it

Post 3 seems to be talking about simple charger and not a 3 stage charger. Does mention if you have lots of time a small charger will charge the Bat, but if you need it done faster then it needs to be a bigger one

Post 6 my impression is he doesn't understand why anyone would want a charger

Post 7 leaving a charger on full time is only ok with a quality 3 stage charger

Last comment to what you just posted
Plug a charger in and leaving for the weekend it most cases you don't need a high amp charger, little 10 amp 2 bank will work. If you have a fridge or other thing that only operates on 12V power, then may need a larger one. Look at you max load while at the slip, this will advise how many amps you will need.

In short we need more info of your plan for use and load

I bought a 60 amp 3 bank charger for my cruiser and it was a ProNautic. I would not buy another because there quality control is not like it use to be

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lets see if I can help, and HEY guys I will get some things wrong :unsure:

Post 2 & 4 do not know if you actually have a Bat charger because you said there is no 120VAC plug. Post 2 used the side cutter comment to just cut the thing out and start over. Post 4 said post a pic so we can see what you have

Post 2 & 4 on charger. Post 2 uses a Automatic Charge Relay (ACR) and only needs a single bank charger because once the start Bat is fully charged the ACR connects to 2nd Bat and starts charging it

Post 3 seems to be talking about simple charger and not a 3 stage charger. Does mention if you have lots of time a small charger will charge the Bat, but if you need it done faster then it needs to be a bigger one

Post 6 my impression is he doesn't understand why anyone would want a charger

Post 7 leaving a charger on full time is only ok with a quality 3 stage charger

Last comment to what you just posted
Plug a charger in and leaving for the weekend it most cases you don't need a high amp charger, little 10 amp 2 bank will work. If you have a fridge or other thing that only operates on 12V power, then may need a larger one. Look at you max load while at the slip, this will advise how many amps you will need.

In short we need more info of your plan for use and load

I bought a 60 amp 3 bank charger for my cruiser and it was a ProNautic. I would not buy another because there quality control is not like it use to be
my post clearly notes that ; i understand that if a boat is penned or moored the need for a battery charger.
OP neve indicated if boat is , slipped , moored , "or trailered and kept in a shed" as my post refers too.

post 2 , implies to me a pair of side cutters , some cable ties , some wire connectors and any quality battery charger of a size / output could be made suitable to whatever the OPs needs (y).

as you say more info was required for educated answers , especially when it comes to charging "" on board batteries "enough to keep appropriate systems alive.

Last edited:

paulswagelock

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Plug in chargers (wet mount) can’t be used on a cruiser that has 12v load while sitting at the dock (Like a fridge). Almost all wet mount chargers time out if the battery does not reach full charge after 15 hrs or so and won’t start charging again until power is reset. Your hardwired charger, and most hardwired chargers, have a 12v power supply mode to handle dock loads, then switch back to charging mode.
so, if you have any sort of load while sitting at the dock or in the yard plugged in, replace it with another appropriate charger, which will be hardwired.

bullsnot

Seaman
Plug in chargers (wet mount) can’t be used on a cruiser that has 12v load while sitting at the dock (Like a fridge). Almost all wet mount chargers time out if the battery does not reach full charge after 15 hrs or so and won’t start charging again until power is reset. Your hardwired charger, and most hardwired chargers, have a 12v power supply mode to handle dock loads, then switch back to charging mode.
so, if you have any sort of load while sitting at the dock or in the yard plugged in, replace it with another appropriate charger, which will be hardwired.
Thank you. This is the insight I was looking for. Much appreciated.

bullsnot

Seaman
my post clearly notes that ; i understand that if a boat is penned or moored the need for a battery charger.
OP neve indicated if boat is , slipped , moored , "or trailered and kept in a shed" as my post refers too.

post 2 , implies to me a pair of side cutters , some cable ties , some wire connectors and any quality battery charger of a size / output could be made suitable to whatever the OPs needs (y).

as you say more info was required for educated answers , especially when it comes to charging "" on board batteries "enough to keep appropriate systems alive.
I do appreciate folks chiming in. It is appreciated. I do believe however I posted enough info for those that understand these types of boats and how they are used. Cabin cruisers come standard with a certain type of charger to be used in certain ways. I understand someone familiar with bass boats might not get that but they aren’t going to be able to give the info I need anyway. Paul gave me good info. Now I just need to research specific chargers in the hardwired category.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
So you are asking for help, and claim to know what info is necessary for those with the proper experience to help you.

That is hard to believe.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So you are asking for help, and claim to know what info is necessary for those with the proper experience to help you.

That is hard to believe.
its not that hard to believe :),
like where you been , ? under a rock :) . everyone knows what a rinker 24 charging system consists of even the OP , that why he asked for info on what charger was required.

now common sense tells me the OP should just simply replace the charger with the same as or equivalent as the broken one and be done (y) but what would i know when it comes to cabin cruisers :)..

all said and done ? what would we do without the internet to ask questions that have obvious answers . .

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, any idiot can simply replace what is there. Why ask any questions? Is battery charger theory a mystery? It is mostly hype, IMO.

I had thought the OP was looking for an economical replacement, which would require some engineering.

bullsnot

Seaman
its not that hard to believe :),
like where you been , ? under a rock :) . everyone knows what a rinker 24 charging system consists of even the OP , that why he asked for info on what charger was required.

now common sense tells me the OP should just simply replace the charger with the same as or equivalent as the broken one and be done (y) but what would i know when it comes to cabin cruisers :)..

but hey ? what would we do without the internet to ask questions that have obvious answers . .
I’m really not trying to create an issue here. Again I appreciate the responses. I said in my original post I need to replace a 2 bank hardwired charger on a cabin cruiser. Thanks to Paul’s response I now understand the difference between a sealed wet charger and a vented onboard (hardwired) charger. A sealed wet charger would not work for me and I could not just “clip” the wires because they do not have the ability to provide a constant 12v source. Onboard, hardwired chargers are standard for cabin cruisers. I’ve never seen one made after 2000 that doesn’t have one. And they all function within the system in the same basic way and provide the same basic power needs. I didn’t see a point in posting a whole bunch of info for people that couldn’t help me anyway. Someone with the correct knowledge posted and advanced my knowledge and direction in replacing my charger. But AGAIN I do appreciate anyone that does try to help.

bullsnot

Seaman
Gee, any idiot can simply replace what is there. Why ask any questions? Is battery charger theory a mystery? It is mostly hype, IMO.

I had thought the OP was looking for an economical replacement, which would require some engineering.
Gee thanks. What’s there isn’t made anymore. Besides why not upgrade if you can?

bullsnot

Seaman

If you’d like to understand the difference in wet sealed chargers and vented onboard chargers read the below article. The key is the vented onboard chargers can charge batteries while the batteries are under load. Lots of other differences as well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you’d like to understand the difference in wet sealed chargers and vented onboard chargers read the below article.
Wet - sealed unit, can be mounted in the "wet" location
Vented - unit is open to environment, must be mounted in a "dry" location
The key is the vented onboard chargers can charge batteries while the batteries are under load. Lots of other differences as well.
Both are capable of charging a battery under load.

The difference being that the vented unit has a higher charging capacity based solely in it's ability to dissipate heat with a free exchange of air to the environment.

The sealed unit (no air circulation) relies solely on heatsinks dissipate the heat to the enviroment.