Throttle Control Replacement - Caravelle 209

stingray101

Recruit
Hi. I own a 2001 Caravelle 209 Bowrider. It has a Volvo Penta 5.0Gi engine. Last summer, the throttle control went out, i.e. "started spinning." Neutral essentially stopped working. I was able to use it in Reverse and Forward, but not neutral. We took the housing off and saw the gears were worn, so I am looking to get it replaced. I talked to a local dealer and they want a ton of money. Is this something someone without a ton of knowledge can replace? And, does anyone know if this control unit I found on Amazon will work?

https://www.amazon.com/Volvo-Penta-...WcqPhLlidpKpXnj7UpCSe9srvEssj9RoaAgCTEALw_wcB.

I found a SeaStar throttle control on Wal-Mart that says it fits most engines, and it's way cheaper. Will this one work?

I'm trying to avoid paying $1,000+ to a local boat repair shop, but not sure I can avoid it.

Thanks for any feedback. - Lee

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Controls are not hard to put in. If you have ever changed a throttle or shift cable, you have already done it, or most of it.

Different engines use different spots within the control to attach the cables, so do not lose the instructions.

Both controls you cited should work. Make sure the Seastar control is compatible with your control cables, although I would expect it to be. You also need to hook up the neutral safety switch, but that is usually 2 bullet connenectors between the ign key

You might also find a cheaper control, if you look a bit more.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you have a moderate understanding of tools and can read the instructions, yes, you should be able to replace it.

However on the new controller, make sure to periodically clean and grease it and it will last much closer to forever than the short life you experienced

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Usually the hardest thing about this job (on some boats) is figuring out how to get the coaming panel off to access the control.

stingray101

Recruit
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your feedback. I would consider myself handy around the house, first time attempting an install like this - but as long as there are instructions, should be okay. And - I agree, I think the toughest part is going to be getting behind that panel. It's a long, solid piece with not much wiggle room back there. Thank you again.