Throttle Control Button, need a replacement

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1989 Bayliner Trophy and the center neutral button on the Throttle control is missing (was missing when I got it).

Any idea where I could get a replacement? Can't find one online anywhere.

Engine is 5.8L Omc

Here is a picture of what I'm looking for:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240129_233627_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240129_233627_Photos~2.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 7

alldodge

Staff member
Most likely not going to find one and need to replace the control.Might be able to find one HERE that will work

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Most likely not going to find one and need to replace the control.Might be able to find one HERE that will work
That's a bummer.... Your saying I need to replace the entire control? Not sure I want to do that. It still works as is. Maybe I can fabricate something.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That is an OMC control. OMC has been out of business since right after your boat was built.

you may get lucky and find a dealer sitting on old stock. however you will most likely need to replace the control

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Try searching for parts on ebay, also:
NLA Marine
Seaway Marine
both have a lot of OMC parts
you might have to buy one of those controls just to get that part, but it will be cheaper than a new aftermarket control like a Seastar or other aftermarket brand
A Merc control might not work because the OMC shift cable moves in opposite directions from Mercs IIRC.

Fun Times

Staff member
Thanks, I have been looking, assuming I would have to buy the whole thing, but no luck.
Do you have a better up-close photo of the controller and/button?

Is yours really a usable button or more of a non-functional cover?

Is there any literature anywhere including the backside of the control box?

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It is a button, for neutral, I press in the plastic tab in the middle right now to get it working. Not a big deal, but it also holds the shift lever from sliding off so I have to hold it with two hands right now.

Ill try and get a better picture next time I am out by the boat.

Fun Times

Staff member
It is a button, for neutral, I press in the plastic tab in the middle right now to get it working. Not a big deal, but it also holds the shift lever from sliding off so I have to hold it with two hands right now.

Ill try and get a better picture next time I am out by the boat.
I could be wrong with this one without better photos plus being OMC vs Volvo and year, etc. 'but just as a still just in case type scenario to a starting point, you "might" be needing Volvo part number 3857772 item # 11, https://www.volvopentastore.com/Control-Side-Mount/dm/store_id.366--view_id.787249

And in searching the part number being no longer available brought up a possible work around mentioned in post number 6, https://forums.iboats.com/threads/help-can’t-find-this-neutral-throttle-button.746226/

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I could be wrong with this one without better photos plus being OMC vs Volvo and year, etc. 'but just as a still just in case type scenario to a starting point, you "might" be needing Volvo part number 3857772 item # 11, https://www.volvopentastore.com/Control-Side-Mount/dm/store_id.366--view_id.787249

And in searching the part number being no longer available brought up a possible work around mentioned in post number 6, https://forums.iboats.com/threads/help-can’t-find-this-neutral-throttle-button.746226/

Thank you! #11 looks like the part I am looking for. I am going to read through that post and see if that will work for me. It does look the same though.