Throttle and remote control linkage adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone,
So I recently came into a 1988 force 50hp with a remote control box. Im having some difficulties properly adjusting my throttle and linkages. I can either get the throttle cam set correctly at idle and no WOT, or I can get WOT but not be set up right at idle. Also, it seems I have a ton of slack between putting the motor in gear and engaging any throttle. Is that normal? Like from the N position to engaging the throttle in either gear is almost 70 percent of the sticks range of motion.

Nordin

Commander
Do you have the correct end couplers?
The throttle should have a spring loaded coupler and the shifter should have a coupler without a spring load function.

Nordin

Commander
Yes that are the right connectors.
The spring loaded longer one for the throttle and the shorter for the shift.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay good to know. How much play should I have between the gears engaging and the throttle picking up?

Nordin

Commander
As less play as possible.
When adjusting the connectors the shift connector should be adjusted soo the ball just drop into the hole in the connector.
The throttle connector should be adjusted soo you have a spring load.
You should have to pull it 1/4 in to drop the ball in the connector hole.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay. I've done that so far with the throttle cable, but not the shift cables. If I do this to the shift cable, will that effect the engagement of the throttle cable as well?

The Force power

Commander
Hmm okay. It seems my problem is that I cannot get throttle forward enough to fully open the butterfly. Is this perhaps an issue with my control box?
The engine needs to run for it to shift; do not force the shifter when engine is off!!!
Further adjustment can be made on the other end of the shifter-cable (in/on the control-box)

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do you mean? The operation of the control box seems the same with the motor off. Am I missing something?

Nordin

Commander
When moving the remote handle turn the prop at the same time.
If the clutch dog teeth are facing against the gear teeth you maybe damage the shift rod or the remote control.
If you turn the prop when moving the remote handle the teeth at gear and clutch dog will engage as it should.
When you adjust the remote control cables and the connectors it is important that the shift cable/rod has traveled it fully stroke before the throttle rod starts to move.
That is why the throttle connector has a spring load.
To get the throttle butterflies to reach full throttle (horizontal) when remote control are at WOT you adjust it by length the throttle rod.
Then you maybe have to adjust the idle screw to the engine block to get the idle to be right.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the clutch dog teeth are facing against the gear teeth you maybe damage the shift rod or the remote control.
If you turn the prop when moving the remote handle the teeth at gear and clutch dog will engage as it should.
When you adjust the remote control cables and the connectors it is important that the shift cable/rod has traveled it fully stroke before the throttle rod starts to move.
To get the throttle butterflies to reach full throttle (horizontal) when remote control are at WOT you adjust it by length the throttle rod.
Then you maybe have to adjust the idle screw to the engine block to get the idle to be right.
Okay I see. I'll go ahead and try this

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??? you have that much play in the shifter before it engages???
Then somethings hooked up wrong.
Remove the cables and try to move the shift arms by hand,
They should not move. No movement? the shifters good.
Then switch to the shift mechanism on the motor:
The cables hooked up right where they attach to the shifter?
Lots of times the clamp is in the wrong position on the cable..

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry I haven't resolved this one guys, I keep my boat moored pretty far from me since I don't have space where I live. I will check the shift cable as soon as I can. I have only adjusted the throttle cable so far. It had a good couple mills of slack when I adjusted it which seemed to help a bit, but that was before I started this thread. I had opened up the control box and saw the gear mechanism does not engage the throttle cable until the shift cable engages a certain distance, and I have not adjusted the shift cable which is also likely as loose as the throttle cable was. If not the slack in the cables, then I will do as Jerry says and inspect the shift linkage to the gear box. There was a lot of slack in the throttle cable though so maybe the shift cable will be the same. Based on the control box gearing, your throttle cable can be a tight as ever, but if the shift cable has slack, then you still won't get full range out of the throttle cable.

Ayerswilliam

Recruit
Do you have pic of clutch dog teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.