Thinner for bottom paint, what to use??

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Have 3/4 gallon of Interlux bottomkote leftover from last spring.It is a little thick and I want to "slightly" thin the paint .Not looking to compromise the antifouling properties so I only want to slightly thin.Of course Interlux recommends their special Interlux thinner which I dont have and costs almost as much as there bottom paint, but I do have some odorless mineral spirits I am thinking of using.Anyone ever thin bottom paint???? Its not water based.Charlie

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are not supposed to thin bottom paint

briangcc

Commander
Check the MSDS on the Interlux thinner. It will break out the components in general. That might lead you to what to use beyond their recommended thinner...but I'm not so sure straying from the recommended is the right approach.

Could do a test and see...in an outdoor setting...with hose/fire extinguisher handy...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Paint thinner for oil based bottom paint, the same as used to clean the brushes, if you do that.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Paint thinner for oil based bottom paint, the same as used to clean the brushes, if you do that.
I used to.....but have not bought a quality brush worthy of cleaning in a long time. I came across a can of Penetrol which is specifically for varnish and paint thinning I may try.It is not quick drying which makes brushing better....so it states.Charlie

dubs283

Vice Admiral
As mentioned earlier it's not a good idea to just use what you think may work as a good thinner. Oil based paints use many different types of chemicals and often times require a specific thinner/additive to avoid any unwanted chemical reactions that can result in disaster

The company that manufactured the paint you have specifies the thinner to use for a reason, often times to help save your life, not needlessly deplete your wallet

Find a local auto paint supplier and bring the paint can to them, they will have the best idea as to what thinner to use

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Interlux is "famous" for specifying their own thinners. They have slow for brushing and fast for spraying their polyurethanes. I do use their thinners for spraying, but plain old paint thinner for cleaning brushes.