Thinking about building a boat this fall

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys! I’m thinking about building a boat this fall to replace my aging SIB. I have an 18’ pontoon which I use as my primary boat but like to have a smaller one for fishing in the fall/spring when water levels are low or when I want to go somewhere and don’t want to drag the big/heavy pontoon there.

I’ve pretty much settled on a Jon boat design for its low draft and bigger floor space inside.

I really like the vintage projects plan https://www.vintageprojects.com/sites/default/files/articles/jon-boat-plans.pdf Of course I would make a few changes- namely I would probably not taper the width at the back and possibly not the front (more like a barge design) And I do want to add a small cabin to it for wintertime fishing. I will probably epoxy and glass the seams, but don’t want to commit to fiberglassing the whole boat (if I like the design, I may rebuild in a few years and fiberglass)

My only concern is whether the beam (48”) will be enough for stability. I went with a friend on his jon boat last year and found it a tad unstable, but it only had a 36” bottom. I dont mind widening the beam, but want to keep it as compact as possible without sacrificing stability. Looking to see if anybody has any experience on stability and of course any other input :)

alldodge

Staff member
A flat bottom boat is a bit more stable then one with a keel of the same width, but still not much

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You have done some good homework so far. BUUUTT
There are a lot of buts more to consider.
Being 86 and having followed boating of all types under 20 feet. and built a plywood 21 foot speed boat with a Chevy V8 and shaft drive long ago. I have many large and small power tools. Plus boating friends with every possible tool & EXTRA bodies available. ........Used them after the boat shifted and pinned me until the wife found me.

Do yourself a HUGE favor.

Buy a Aluminum V hulled boat 16' to 18' with a RUNNING ....GREAT..... motor.
It is the cheapest & quickest way to enjoy the boat.......NOW !!!..... not 5 years from now. With a for sale sign on it. The little cabin ? Will be cramped. And a MASSIVE surface for winds to push you around & require a MUCH bigger motor and fuel tanks. To get back to the trailer site. Barge designs do not like windy or big boat wake waves. You will need space for big people space for tackle box and bait bucket / buckets.

A built cabin will be a pain with seats that have no built in flotation foam if you get swamped. My 16' Lowe Aluminum is cramped for just me and a 14 gallon fuel tank in the bow compartment. Next compartment has the 6 gallon red steel tank and 2 large tackle boxes. 1 for lures. Other for boat patching tape tools to change sparkplugs which are JUST for trolling . And a set for racing back if way out in the boonies. A hand held 5 watt VHF radio with a clip on battery leads. . pair of work gloves. spare sun & regular glasses. Space for small insulated Playmate lunch flip open for water & sandwiches.
I Wired the boat for all light, horn, bilge, dash night light. Added extra oar locks And 8' oars. Make up plastic removable floor boars to get back a dropped bait . before it stinks. 1 SMALL adult and me cast VERY carefully !!

Buy a GOOD condition V hulled boat and motor. Enjoy fishing on day 1.
Good luck
Remember the plastic Ziplok bag with a roll of toilet paper.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
As a 19 year old college kid in 1968, I simple HAD to have a boat. I bought a plywood pre-cut "kit" for $165. Another $60 for paint and glue, $50 for running hardware and another $50 for misc. She was built in about 5 months.

I have to say, though, that it was built in Grandpa's garage and my Uncle lived next door. Both were retired. My Dad helped on weekends. With school full time and a full time job, I spent more time building that going on dates. Without their help, I could not have done it. Also, with Grandma next door boiling water, that was also needed to soak and bend the wood pieces.

By Summer's end I had accumulated enough $ to buy a Holsclaw trailer "Kit". (Yes they made un-assembled trailers back then.)

The following year came a new Evinrude, and the year after a windshield and convertible top.

The following year I took my sweetie for a boatride. (This year we celebrated 53 years together.)

The following year the boat was destroyed in a car accident.

Anywhoot, it was one of the best experiences in my life. If I could do it over again I would. But alas, no one left to help me.

One final thought, I would never build a jack boat. Not stable enough. Regardless, whatever you build, expect to need a lot of help. Maybe a 14' V-hull tinny would be a better option. OTOH, if you like to build things, go for it.

1711324583562.jpeg

1711324504110.jpeg

1711324530974.jpeg

Attachments

• 1711324841270.jpeg
    1711324841270.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 1

matt167

Captain
Design like that with a cabin screams Chugger boat, which is a design that could be built in a month or sooner depending on how ambitious you are

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys! I’m thinking about building a boat this fall to replace my aging SIB. I have an 18’ pontoon which I use as my primary boat but like to have a smaller one for fishing in the fall/spring when water levels are low or when I want to go somewhere and don’t want to drag the big/heavy pontoon there.

My only concern is whether the beam (48”) will be enough for stability. I went with a friend on his jon boat last year and found it a tad unstable, but it only had a 36” bottom. I dont mind widening the beam, but want to keep it as compact as possible without sacrificing stability. Looking to see if anybody has any experience on stability and of course any other input :)
First, JimS123- that’s a great looking home built!👍

As for the new build, a cabin- no matter how small- will definitely make a small Jon boat harder to handle, both going down the road and on the water. Maybe a simple bimini top would suffice for your needs.
As for size, I’d recommend at least a 14 footer and, for stability, a 48” floor.
I bought my Lowe 1448 and modified it for bass fishing. Even with the small console, I find it gets in the way from time to time. It’s plenty stable for 2 adults.
My Jon, the picture is for inspiration!

Attachments

• IMG_0787.jpeg
    IMG_0787.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 7

briangcc

Commander
4' wide with a cabin? How come that sounds mighty tippy for the cabin to be useful?

I'd 2nd, 3rd, whatever a 16' or larger aluminum boat and have a full camper canvas for winter fishing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just my opinion

with 48" - 54" wide jon boats available dirt cheap if you look, you can be on the water later today for less money than the plywood to build one. and be 200# less than a wooden one. Then make a canvas canopy to keep the wind off you if you want to fish in winter.

i am all for making a boat for the sake of making a boat for the experienc. but I also would not make something I can buy cheaper than the materials.

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the input guys! Guess its worth saying I've owned dozens of "smaller boats" over the years from a barely 8' dingy to a 14' 60" beam aluminum. They all had their pros/cons. Really I'm wanting to do this more for the experience than anything, and if I can get something useful out of it that is just a bonus.

That chugger was a new one for me and not far off from what I was envisioning. One thing that I've noticed is most cabin-boat plans dedicate a lot of cabin space for sleeping/storage, whereas I am looking for all the cabin area to be for driving/staying dry.

One that did peak my interest was the tug a long by Glen-L https://www.glen-l.com/16-or-18-Tug-Along-SG-tugboat/products/92/ Its a little longer/wider than I was wanting, and I know most of their designs are not made to be modified, but possibly a good starting point. Their tubby tugboat https://www.glen-l.com/9-Tubby-Tug-tugboat-for-kids/products/906/ is probably a little small :)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for the input guys! Guess its worth saying I've owned dozens of "smaller boats" over the years from a barely 8' dingy to a 14' 60" beam aluminum. They all had their pros/cons. Really I'm wanting to do this more for the experience than anything, and if I can get something useful out of it that is just a bonus.

That chugger was a new one for me and not far off from what I was envisioning. One thing that I've noticed is most cabin-boat plans dedicate a lot of cabin space for sleeping/storage, whereas I am looking for all the cabin area to be for driving/staying dry.

One that did peak my interest was the tug a long by Glen-L https://www.glen-l.com/16-or-18-Tug-Along-SG-tugboat/products/92/ Its a little longer/wider than I was wanting, and I know most of their designs are not made to be modified, but possibly a good starting point. Their tubby tugboat https://www.glen-l.com/9-Tubby-Tug-tugboat-for-kids/products/906/ is probably a little small :)
I'm quite familiar with Glen-L. When I built mine I wanted a precut "kit", and they did not have that in the style that I wanted.

The models you posted are very nice and should provide a lifetime of service. The only thing to advise you is that they will take a bunch of people to giterdone.

tpenfield

Staff member
I think 48" beam will help, but if you are really concerned you could do something like this . . .

Screenshot-101.png