Stuck water pump impeller

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
2001 J40VLSIG
Ok so I realize this outboards impeller is improperly secured in place and I want you all to know I didn't do it! But I do need advice on how best to proceed to remove it. The impeller rotates about 8 degrees left or right pretty freely until it binds on that ugly pin. I can't for the life of me get the impeller to lift up so I can remove pin. I have at this point soaked things down with wd40 hoping to free up or dissolve something.

Now that I asked my question I'll let you all know I have owned this motor for about 2 weeks and got the top end working well...then the VRO decided to have an issue....its getting deleted. I'm likely going to have to reseal the lower unit which doesn't exactly thrill me but I'll take things as they come... so 1st this stubborn impeller then onward to the next issue.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE for any help or advice.

Sean

Attachments

• 20221025_140222.jpg
    20221025_140222.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20221025_140218.jpg
    20221025_140218.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33

kbait

Commander
I believe that driveshaft will pull right out of the lower unit. Perhaps you can remove the impeller downward. If not, cut it off with a Dremel tool

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Cut the impeller and it's brass sleeve to split it

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
I believe that driveshaft will pull right out of the lower unit. Perhaps you can remove the impeller downward. If not, cut it off with a Dremel tool
I'm thinking that the cut the impeller method is what gonna happen as I gonna replace it anyhow. I was just hoping I was stupid and there was an easy way. Will cut it tomorrow after work hopefully when the mosquitoes aren't looking cause they messed me up good today.

Thank you both for your answers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use my oscillating multi tool and cut most of the way thru then use a cold chisel

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I'm thinking that the cut the impeller method is what gonna happen as I gonna replace it anyhow. I was just hoping I was stupid and there was an easy way. Will cut it tomorrow after work hopefully when the mosquitoes aren't looking cause they messed me up good today.

Thank you both for your answers.
My 35 the driveshaft pulls right out and the impeller pulls off the bottom. Not sure on your motor.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Looking at the schematic for this lower unit it doesn't appear to be smaller below the water pump. But this is a 1st for me will keep fussing at it and likely get out the cutoff wheels tomorrow. I took the liberty to order a full seal kit for the lower...I have a sick feeling I gonna be inside this thing before I done....

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Looking at the schematic for this lower unit it doesn't appear to be smaller below the water pump. But this is a 1st for me will keep fussing at it and likely get out the cutoff wheels tomorrow. I took the liberty to order a full seal kit for the lower...I have a sick feeling I gonna be inside this thing before I done....
Why do you think you need to re-seal the motor? Was there water in the oil?

I think you should be more positive, you will do fine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??--on post #2 and #6------No , the impeller can only be removed by going up on the shaft !!-----The shaft simply does not pull out on these at all.

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think that’s the wrong pin. I have a 97 25hp Johnson and the impeller has a wedge shaped device that holds it in place.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Looks like the plastic cam was lost.----Jammed in a makeshift pin to go fishing !!

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
W
How is that the wrong impeller?
Well, now I'm not sure. I actually plugged in the wrong model number and got this. When I plug in his number the model number doesn't come up as a model number.

Not sure of anything now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221026-131151~2.png
    Screenshot_20221026-131151~2.png
    438.7 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That model # is on the production list !!-----But some of these are shown with a 6 vane impeller.----And when folks shop online , you never know what shows up at your door.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
So, I haven't cut it off yet...the schematics for this year show a 3 blade impeller...I ordered the proper OEM part # by inputting the model info...so when it gets here this week will update on how many blades...
yeah someone before me jammed a pin in...i pretty sure it supposed to be a wedge thingy...
And the final answer... WHY I expect to be inside it... sadly there was larger sized glitter that escaped when I drained the oil. It was coarse sized silver glitter that I could FEEL easily... not the normal wear fuzz on the magnet. It leaves me with like 3 choices ... clean it out, been doing that with cheap oil spinning up drive and repeat to wash it all out then run til dead. Disassembly cleanout...replace bearings...maybe gears..and dog.
Or replace lower with known good one...the last is a bit of a pig in a poke.

Great now I hijacked my own thread.
Anyhow will update as I know more and as I go fwd.

Thanks again for all the info and ideas
Sean