Stuck water pump impeller

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Look at post #1 which has been deleted along with the OPs profile
I haven't seen me being deleted nor have I deleted me posts. I am still working on the lower unit issue so far I have some answers which I will paraphrase for ease.
My gears are shot.
Good luck finding a replacement
And a gentleman has 3 sets of gears.

I attempted to be as polite and humble as possible in my responses. Especially in light of the fact that what the writer writes and means and what the reader reads and thinks are often 2 different things.
I as suggested posted additional and cleaned up pics of the gear. Nothing additional said.

I'm gonna assume that I have been labeled as not needing additional help, which isn't my intent or position.
So just to be crystal clear I apologize of I offended anyone, especially via asking additional information or a second opinion on the gears condition...offense wasn't my intent in any way.

In case someone else new to this reads this.... it would seem that prior to our current world shortages of it sort of seems everything the gear sets were available as 4 piece sets including shipping in the USA for approx $350 from companies such as the previously suggested gearpros...which seems to be a great company.
At this point Nov 2022 a pinion and fwd gear alone appear to be valued at approx $550 plus shipping. Replacing all the bearings and races in a lower costs approximately $258 add $20 for seals. A refurbished lower with a 1 yr warranty runs $1600+ and if someone is hunting a stripped lower units case is approx $250 to the door in fair to middling condition.
Oh and the exhaust grommet (I think that is what it is called) that shows thermostat open at top of leg appears to be no longer available at all. I have modeled this part on computer and will make a mold to make a replacement.

I hope the next person finds better parts availability and prices.

Sean

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I haven't seen me being deleted nor have I deleted me posts. I am still working on the lower unit issue so far I have some answers which I will paraphrase for ease.
My gears are shot.
Good luck finding a replacement
And a gentleman has 3 sets of gears.

I attempted to be as polite and humble as possible in my responses. Especially in light of the fact that what the writer writes and means and what the reader reads and thinks are often 2 different things.
I as suggested posted additional and cleaned up pics of the gear. Nothing additional said.

I'm gonna assume that I have been labeled as not needing additional help, which isn't my intent or position.
So just to be crystal clear I apologize of I offended anyone, especially via asking additional information or a second opinion on the gears condition...offense wasn't my intent in any way.

In case someone else new to this reads this.... it would seem that prior to our current world shortages of it sort of seems everything the gear sets were available as 4 piece sets including shipping in the USA for approx $350 from companies such as the previously suggested gearpros...which seems to be a great company.
At this point Nov 2022 a pinion and fwd gear alone appear to be valued at approx $550 plus shipping. Replacing all the bearings and races in a lower costs approximately $258 add $20 for seals. A refurbished lower with a 1 yr warranty runs $1600+ and if someone is hunting a stripped lower units case is approx $250 to the door in fair to middling condition.
Oh and the exhaust grommet (I think that is what it is called) that shows thermostat open at top of leg appears to be no longer available at all. I have modeled this part on computer and will make a mold to make a replacement.

I hope the next person finds better parts availability and prices.

Sean
I didn't see any reason for anyone to be upset....not sure what's going on and your thread never disappeared. I think this is just a misunderstanding.

With that said, I did find this.....not sure if it's everything you need.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Thank you!
I think that would about cover it... I'm debating tossing the case or selling it off and spending an additional bit on one in better shape from the get go.
You folks clearly have a better finger on the marine engine parts pulse than I do.
I'm wishing I could afford the emp one at $2300 but my wife would likely take drastic action and I would become an Alto vs being a Baritone.

To the where and I located.
Good Ole Yuma Az USA.
If someone is close by I would happily PM them my phone number if I can be of help...I'm good on the top ends...but clearly weak on the lower units.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Thank you!
I think that would about cover it... I'm debating tossing the case or selling it off and spending an additional bit on one in better shape from the get go.
You folks clearly have a better finger on the marine engine parts pulse than I do.
I'm wishing I could afford the emp one at $2300 but my wife would likely take drastic action and I would become an Alto vs being a Baritone.

To the where and I located.
Good Ole Yuma Az USA.
If someone is close by I would happily PM them my phone number if I can be of help...I'm good on the top ends...but clearly weak on the lower units.
I would start hunting around for a local blown power head model and buy the whole thing. $200 to $300 might get you a whole parts motor with a good gearcase.

Parts list tells you years and hp that it fits so there should be some available.

tphoyt

Ensign
Sorry I can’t be of any help. I’m in Ma and know of a guy that has lots of used lowers but the shipping would be crazy I’m sure.
I had to ask though. I once asked this questions many years ago and the poster was only 3 miles away.
Best of luck with the hunt.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Absolutely on the blown up powered parts motor hunt. I been doing that from LA to San Diego to Phoenix AZ. I suppose I should look to lake Havasu...Tucson...and probably the lake mead area....as they have less water than before....a lot less.

Thank you all for your help and kind thoughts.

It's funny...see them failed powerhead engines for pennies what seems like every day...but when needed nope. Lol

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Oh I did...$800 to $1700 on ebay.
I'm softening up me wife for the upcoming purchase....
I seriously considering some options there... but $800ish plus additional $650 potential with the full bearing and gear set suggested earlier is $1400....and that means the $1600 to $1700 starts making sense. I'm doing my homework best as I can and paying much closer attention to you all suggestions and thoughts than you probably expect.

Thank you for the idea. It may turn out to be my salvation.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Well I softened up me wife real good as to me spending more money on me boat....
Seems until a few days ago I had no idea I wanted to sell my 1962 all original international scout. But I did want to my wife strongly suggested I might wanna downsize me toy collection. Sigh.

On the bright side I has a new to me used lower coming in from the east coast... it not pretty on outside but it also not costing me 1st born.

While separation from my scout has been painful it is not nearly as painful as a winter of not fishing the mighty lower Colorado River. I suspect I will have the new used drive properly poked at... prepped and installed by Saturday.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Well I softened up me wife real good as to me spending more money on me boat....
Seems until a few days ago I had no idea I wanted to sell my 1962 all original international scout. But I did want to my wife strongly suggested I might wanna downsize me toy collection. Sigh.

On the bright side I has a new to me used lower coming in from the east coast... it not pretty on outside but it also not costing me 1st born.

While separation from my scout has been painful it is not nearly as painful as a winter of not fishing the mighty lower Colorado River. I suspect I will have the new used drive properly poked at... prepped and installed by Saturday.
Good to hear....happy fishing.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
This is the picture they provided as part of sales pitch on ebay...it looks way better in person. I'll be swapping out the anode for the prop shaft...as the new used ones is pretty well used up. It turns well...the paint is rough but in person it is only the paint... corrosion is minimal. I started prepping it for install... then realized I didn't have any lower lube...off to Walmart.

This took 3 walmarts to find some available. Walmart seems to be discontinuing the quicksilver gear lube at least locally....had it clearanced at $3.50 quart at the one location it was available. So I took everything they had cause that's an amazing price and with 2 outboard boats and a Volvo in out that I have to service as well...yeah I has a problem with 2 many boats according to wife. Anyway I use a lot of lower lube and marine grease...and such.
Will take some pics tomorrow as I clean things up... rebuild the water pump...pressure test the lower... refill it. Install it... and if...if God is willing test it on the lake...perhaps Sunday. I still have to go get paint... I'm out of zinc chromate primer...so that will be part of tomorrow's work too... find primer... get a pint of paint and reducer and hardener...
Lol such is life.

Sean

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221111-225811_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20221111-225811_eBay.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4