Stray current help!

Hantsman

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I have a new to me aluminum hull boat and was just going over a few things after doing some research on this fourm. I noticed 0.6 volts dc when I connect the meter to the negative battery terminal and the hull. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hey everyone,

I have a new to me aluminum hull boat and was just going over a few things after doing some research on this fourm. I noticed 0.6 volts dc when I connect the meter to the negative battery terminal and the hull. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks
Yep….if it’s real.
Reverse leads and see if you get -0.6 volts
Make sure battery connections are clean and secure.
Check to make sure the hull isn’t being used for a ground somewhere

Hantsman

Cadet
It goes negative if I switch them. If I disconnect thr positive terminal and just connect negative batter terminal to the hull still getting 0.6 volts.. I guess I'll have yo look for a wire or something...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I take it this is an outboard powered boat? If so, the very fact that the engine is bolted to the aluminum hull means the negative battery terminal is also connected to the hull since the negative battery cable is bolted to the engine block. With the positive battery cable disconnected and you still read 0.6 volts you should try a different meter.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ahh ok.. I was kind of thinking that too. It's pretty cheap
As a quick check, remove the positive battery cable from the battery. Check for continuity between the positive cable and the hull.

Should be open.

Hantsman

Cadet
Good idea! Nothing from positive cable to the hull. I think I was just being paranoid haha. Thanks for the advice everyone. Greatly appreciated!