strange oil consumpton

dale1

Seaman Apprentice
I'm new to this motor. 2000, yamaha 150 2 stoke.

I rode for a couple hours yesterday. half of the small tank on the side of the motor went away. "no signs of leakage" I did not use the toggle switch on back. I filled the main tank before the ride. It used about 1 inch of of the main tank.

1. Will the motor use this oil if it needs to?
2. could this be contributing to the alarm tone that Ive heard at idle?

thanks,
dale

dale1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: strange oil consumpton

thanks for the link. I just bought the boat 1 week ago. did not get a manual or even any info about it. the manual did not help with the technical question. can the motor use the emergency tank if it sences a problem? I did not engage the toggle switch, but the emergency tank was half depleted in one day of use? There was cheap, no name 2 stoke oil in the battery area. dont know if it was used but I suspect so.

could the buzzer be from a oil problem? Is that common for the this motor? 150 yamaha 2 stoke?

once again, I appreciate the link and the good information.

thanks,
dale

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You do realize a two stroke engine actually "consumes" oil. the oil injection system mixes it with the fuel so you don't have to. Four stroke engines have an oil sump like your car and do not consume oil but they do have to have it changed periodically.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

The tank on the motor is not an emergency tank, that is the one that feeds the oil into the motor all the time. The remote tank only feeds the motor tank as it is needed and the float switch in that motor tank tells it when to fill. If it does not fill properly then the alarm goes off. You need to read up on your motor.