Steering shake at low speeds - intermittent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
Motor is a 2002 VP 8.1GI-b
Drive is a DP-SM

At low speed, usually when coming into the dock and making lots of steering movements, I occasionally get a shimmy in the steering wheel and drive. I can feel it in the boat which means it is a substantial force. I rarely get it on start up, but every once in a while it will do it.

There are 2 ways to make it stop. Turn off the motor and restart or move the wheel back and forth several times.

I read earlier where air in the power steering system could cause this, but I don't want to just throw things like a power steering pump at this problem.

My fluid level is fine and the fluid looks good.

Am I likely on the right track and if so, where would be a good place to start. I am guessing I am some how getting air into the system, but without a leak it is hard to figure out where.

If it makes any difference, at slow speed the steering is not smooth. I can feel resistance changes as I turn the steering wheel. Don't know if that is normal as I haven't driven other boats to compare.

I do have the factory service manuals and have no problem tearing into this, but want to go in the right direction.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Steering shake at low speeds - intermittent

Three things come to mind with this problem.
1. Make sure the flats on the tube through the power steering cylinder are facing fore and aft.
2. Make sure the steering cable is free to move back and forth. That is what controls the power steering.
3. It may have an air bubble. With engine NOT RUNNING, turn the wheel lock to lock a half dozen times and see if it works better.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Steering shake at low speeds - intermittent

Thanks for the tips. I will give them a shot.

skisandquads

Recruit
Reviving a 12 year old thread as this original poster describes the symptoms I'm having with my 2002 5.7 GXi with DP-A drive. During low speed maneuvers I get an intermittent "shimmy" which is quite pronounced, in both the steering wheel and the transom of the boat. Feels like a spinning shaft out of balance which is why I am getting ready to take it to a professional. I was thinking it was worn gimbal bearing letting the driveshaft wobble. But I also have the other symptom he describes, at low speed the power steering is variable in it's feel at the steering wheel, sometimes you can use one finger to spin the wheel, other times it takes considerable force.
Do you think these issues are related?
Related or not, any suggestions?
So far, only attempt to remedy the issue was a complete power steering fluid change and air bleed.
Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Reviving a 12 year old thread as this original poster describes the symptoms I'm having with my 2002 5.7 GXi with DP-A drive. During low speed maneuvers I get an intermittent "shimmy" which is quite pronounced, in both the steering wheel and the transom of the boat. Feels like a spinning shaft out of balance which is why I am getting ready to take it to a professional. I was thinking it was worn gimbal bearing letting the driveshaft wobble. But I also have the other symptom he describes, at low speed the power steering is variable in it's feel at the steering wheel, sometimes you can use one finger to spin the wheel, other times it takes considerable force.
Do you think these issues are related?
Related or not, any suggestions?
So far, only attempt to remedy the issue was a complete power steering fluid change and air bleed.
Thanks!
Nope,..... Yer not,.....
Welcome Aboard,...... Please read, 'n follow our posting rules, 'n guidelines,......
Then start a new thread of yer own,.....

Status
Not open for further replies.