starter

Slick89

Cadet
please help, my starter is new and when i turn the key the starter engages after it does i hear this ping like noise then after a few trys the engine turns over but always on the first try this noise is heard what can this be.

alldodge

Staff member
Need more info
You hear a noise but what else is going on?
Does it start to crank over or does nothing move?

Slick89

Cadet
Need more info
You hear a noise but what else is going on?
Does it start to crank over or does nothing move?
it sounds like the drive has engaged then the ping noise happens then i turn the key again and she fires but a slow turn

alldodge

Staff member
What happened a month ago before this started ,everything was no issue or is this a new to you boat.?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
What engine? Why was the previous starter replaced? Is the new starter aftermarket or OEM?

kenny nunez

Captain
You need to closely inspect all the battery connections clean them, especially where the ground cable is bolted to the engine block.

SternDriveEd

Seaman Apprentice
Perhaps begin with a battery voltage test. This is battery voltage even before you turn the key and crank the engine. Typically 12 to 13 volts. Now leave the voltmeter hooked up to the battery and crank the engine over. Watch the voltage go down. Typically 11 to 10 volts remains at the battery during cranking. These two easy tests will tell us a lot about the battery health and starter motor condition.