Starter fluid everytime....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You would NEVER , ever damage that motor using a little bit of starter fluid.----Oil / lubrication / mixing gas and oil is just not well understood. these days.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Nonsense-----When a 2 stroke is stopped there is oil all over the bearings and between the piston and cylinder bore.----How does a whiff of quick start instantly make that wash away on a cold engine?.----I have stated it many times.----Oil and lubrication in 2 strokes is not well understood.
Unfortunately thru the years, I have witnessed people using this fluid by the gallon. This is where the problem comes in. A whiff is fine but many just open the spray and let it flood in while cranking the engine. Even witnessesed a blown head gasket from excess use. People are frustrated because there engine won't start, so they go way overboard with that stuff. Some years back we saw a guy using it at the launch ramp, just for fun we looked in the trash can and saw at least a dozen empty starting fluid cans !! I am sure they were not all by the same person, but it does show how carried away people can get with this stuff.

Dukedog

Captain
sayin' a little squirt is ok, most don't know what a wiff is, (maybe for tha experienced) is like givin' some a hand grenade with tha pin already pulled... jus a fact.
a little squirt or even a big squirt of pre-mix is ALWAYS SAFE...... jmo.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It is doubtful that the ether damaged your engine. When the engine doesn't start, a 50::1 fuel solution is in the engine. Actually a lot of the gasoline has evaporated leaving the oil. As was said by post #12, a short a blast of ether will not harm a 2 cycle engine.

Dukedog

Captain
depends on WHO defines "short blast"..............

jus sayin' don't think its a good routine ta get into........

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
However no lubrication for the bearings, pistons, etc. so that first start up is going to be dry on the bearings.

the only thing you should be priming a 2-stroke with is a 50:1 mix
The lubrication would all be there from the day, week, month before.

Might be better for a motor to get up and running quickly than for it to have to be cranked and cranked.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
2 other things to adjust. Set the cold idle speed a LITTLE higher and or set the HOT idle mixture screw a tiny bit richer. After the choke linkage is repaired correctly.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
You would NEVER , ever damage that motor using a little bit of starter fluid.----Oil / lubrication / mixing gas and oil is just not well understood. these days.
And in some models oil gets mixed with the gasoline in a different way (not pre mixed) and in some models the oil never gets mixed with the gasoline at all.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
Never a risk or problem when I mix oil and gas at the marina fuel dock. Put a gallon in the 6 gallon tank. Add the oil while the 5 gallons is pouring into the tank. Best I can do.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Never a risk or problem when I mix oil and gas at the marina fuel dock. Put a gallon in the 6 gallon tank. Add the oil while the 5 gallons is pouring into the tank. Best I can do.
And you are doing it the correct way ! I have had no issues with my oil injected Merc, have been using the same oil as it had originally and it works great since 1992.