Starter fluid everytime....

lgaytan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello
I have a 1978 Mercury 500 Thunderbolt 50HP, the motor idles good, runs good overall how ever every cold start needs to use some starter fluid, then when fishing I can move from one side to another with out issues then I stop fishing for an hour and to restart the motor I will need starter fluid, after that I can turn on and off the engine with out any issues.
The primer bulb is working good it stays hard that time so I think there is enough fuel in the carbs
What else should I check or is this normal, it is just bugging to have to take the cowl to apply the starter fluid everytime I need to start the motor after an hour of fishing.

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check operation of the choke.----Do you push button in while cranking it over ?----Do you advance neutral warm up lever for cold starting ?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
A cold motor needs a bit of extra gasoline to help get it going. Which is what a choke does. What you are doing with starting fluid. As asked, is your choke system functioning?

lgaytan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I do press the choke button and advance the warm up lever, I havent checked if the choke is actually closing the carb completely, I will take a look.
I put the startarter fluid directly to the carb air intake. Then crank.

aspeck

Staff member
As others have said, check your choke to make sure it is functioning correctly.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Throttle should be open a bit so that air flow will make the choke do it's job.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Every motor I ever owned liked a particular sequence, if you didn't follow it exactly, they were hard to start. Once you get your choke system figured out, experiment with starting procedures and see if that might help.
My Merc 40 doesn't like the key pushed in while cranking like the manual states...instead, it prefers the key turned to on ( not start) then pushed in and held about 5 seconds or so then stop pushing, move up fast idle, then turn to start....fires up immediately !!! If I hold the key in while cranking, it takes forever to start or often floods. Some are just fussy, but....you need all the pieces and parts to work properly to figure it out.

lgaytan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It was a quick fix, choke wss not closing completely.

Thanks

Attachments

• VID_20240402_190117.mp4
    14.5 MB · Views: 0

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Being mostly highly volatile liquids I would have guessed starting fluid would be all vapor by the time it got through the carburetor.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Being mostly highly volatile liquids I would have guessed starting fluid would be all vapor by the time it got through the carburetor.
However no lubrication for the bearings, pistons, etc. so that first start up is going to be dry on the bearings.

the only thing you should be priming a 2-stroke with is a 50:1 mix

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nonsense-----When a 2 stroke is stopped there is oil all over the bearings and between the piston and cylinder bore.----How does a whiff of quick start instantly make that wash away on a cold engine?.----I have stated it many times.----Oil and lubrication in 2 strokes is not well understood.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
It was a quick fix, choke wss not closing completely.

Thanks
Amazing the difference between choking effect of a closed choke vs a 90% closed choke. Some of my lawnmowers are real picky that way.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Nonsense-----When a 2 stroke is stopped there is oil all over the bearings and between the piston and cylinder bore.----How does a whiff of quick start instantly make that wash away on a cold engine?.----I have stated it many times.----Oil and lubrication in 2 strokes is not well understood.
most people spray enough ether into a small engine to start a 9 liter diesel at -40. While I agree that a quick .2 second blast from an ether can probably wont hurt. most people spray much much more.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you do use ether on any motor, make sure you have a fire extinguisher nearby. Ether can easily catch on fire from sparks that do not ignite gasoline vapor. A motor can seem to have no spark, and then whoosh!
Ask me how I know.....

lgaytan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Amazing the difference between choking effect of a closed choke vs a 90% closed choke. Some of my lawnmowers are real picky that way.
Yes I would say this choke was 90%+ closed and that little amount off was enough for not starting by its own, fortunatelly it was a quick fix hoping to take it to the lake to test in real situation.
I've used so many times the starter fluid with no issues on the outboards for that how ever I have also read and heard several times it could damaged it. I think small amounts shouldn't harm it vapors or fumes of the starter fluid is what actually goes in and not a liquid that will wash away the oil.