something new coming in electric OB

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I commend the attempts to push the envelope, but . . . it seems that certain things needing a lot of power (boats, airplanes, etc.) just are currently not good candidates for electric power.

I would enjoy replacing my 7.5 hp Mercury for the dinghy with an electric version, but not my primary boat that needs 500+ hp to come up on plane.

The power concentrated in fuel is tough to beat in some applications.

For every boat like yours there are probably fifty that are on small lakes where the owners will go on a 10 or 12 mile cruise in the afternoon going maybe 10 mph. That is where you will see the move from gas to electric start happening

harringtondav

Commander
Cute idea, but physics makes it impractical, and expensive.
Li ion batteries weigh about 10#/kWh. The std 75 kWh battery will weigh around 750#, optional 99 kWh battery +-1000#. ...Petrol is 6#/gallon, these batteries cut into a 180 hp boat's max load capacity significantly.
6 kWh charger will charge a small, dead battery pack in 12.5 hrs.
180 hp = 134 kW. Assume cruising power @ 80 hp/60 kW (??), 1.25 - 1.65 hr and you'll want to be in sight of some shore power.
Not ready for prime time in my mind.

E-Motion specs 1.JPGE-Motion specs 2.JPG

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
did my first chopper at age 8 in 1969, hack saw and brothers bike, good and bad times. brother beat me up but i had a badsak bike.
i did bamboo once. Best 12 seconds of my life. Still have the scars at 57...

rolmops

Vice Admiral
The Lyman hydrofoils will come on plane completely out of the water on their skis, being about 10 times as energy efficient as the more tradional boats that most of us own. That is probably the first place where the electric outboard will be a reasonable alternative

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
One last pic and comment before the horse is dead for good.

Found this today and not sure it's real. If it is it's a pretty cool vintage outboard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240213-200335~2.png
    Screenshot_20240213-200335~2.png
    816 KB · Views: 15

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
For every boat like yours there are probably fifty that are on small lakes where the owners will go on a 10 or 12 mile cruise in the afternoon going maybe 10 mph. That is where you will see the move from gas to electric start happening
You just described 80% of the boats around here on any given weekend using 5,000 yro technology……. Sail power

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
You just described 80% of the boats around here on any given weekend using 5,000 yro technology……. Sail power
Yes, but they just announced a wind tax on all sailboats world wide....they said the reason for the tax is everyone is "stealing the wind" so it's just not fair to take a natural resource for free that the governments all own.

News at 11:00

tphoyt

Ensign
That’s pretty kool Crosbyman.
I love the 50’s and 60’s style of things.
Especially the cars. They all look pretty much the same these days.
This is a tough horse.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
the problem with electric cars/boats....god help us, planes(jeez), is the same problem that existed back when electric cars first came out. And it's why they didn't become the leading transportation method.
Per volume, the electric battery, which is a fuel tank, CANNOT match the energy content or weight of a petroleum gas tank.
The overall efficiency then and now is not even close to matching up.
It is that simple.
Do your own math, take a cubic ft. of gas, work out the gallons, work out the weight, take your own cars , do the mileage, ....l.llthen take a cubic ft battery...not even close...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the problem with electric cars/boats....god help us, planes(jeez), is the same problem that existed back when electric cars first came out. And it's why they didn't become the leading transportation method.
Per volume, the electric battery, which is a fuel tank, CANNOT match the energy content or weight of a petroleum gas tank.
The overall efficiency then and now is not even close to matching up.
It is that simple.
Do your own math, take a cubic ft. of gas, work out the gallons, work out the weight, take your own cars , do the mileage, ....l.llthen take a cubic ft battery...not even close...
Why then do diesel locomotives convert to electric? Honest question.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Diesel locomotive engines drive a generator.----Electric motors drive the wheels.------Electric power / motors is easier to manage to send power to the wheels.-----Super high start up loads to get a loaded train moving.

aspeck

Staff member
I think it said 30....so I'm wondering, 30 miles out and 30 miles back?

Wishful speaking I suppose.
1 hr and 15 minutes of battery life at 25mph. 40 minutes of battery life at 39mph. Doesn't get you much cruising or skiing ... but 21 hours of trolling ... nice trolling motor!

tpenfield

Staff member
As far as conversion to electric . . . it is mostly about the storage of the electricity that constrains the practical applications.

In a similar situation in the computer industry about 27 years ago, the challenge was all about network bandwidth. I remember attending tech conferences and all they talked about was 'bandwidth' . . . Based on where things are today, I'd say that challenge has been met, we easily get Internet speeds at 1,000 times faster than what was typical in 1998.

In the next 20-30 years, I expect similar progress to be made in the electrical storage (what we call batteries today) . Even if it were a only 10-20X improvement, our 40 minutes worth of boat ride may be more like 10 hrs in the future. Your crystal ball may vary :ROFLMAO:

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
unless you are rich and have your own powersource at your own private dock, where are you going to charge these things? big marinas will not let you tie up their shore power for anything less than a fortune, and on any given summer day they are booked months sometimes years in advance. also, a massive drawback for batteries that few mention is that they dont get lighter as you go. charged or full, you are still carrying around dead weight. weight sensitive craft like boats/aircraft suffer the most. and no, there is not going to be some magic tech that comes out and makes batteries 2x as power dense. physics/thermodynamics has its limits. Just because Elon Musk says its true doesnt make it so.

flat&short

Cadet
unless you are rich and have your own powersource at your own private dock, where are you going to charge these things? big marinas will not let you tie up their shore power for anything less than a fortune, and on any given summer day they are booked months sometimes years in advance. also, a massive drawback for batteries that few mention is that they dont get lighter as you go. charged or full, you are still carrying around dead weight. weight sensitive craft like boats/aircraft suffer the most. and no, there is not going to be some magic tech that comes out and makes batteries 2x as power dense. physics/thermodynamics has its limits. Just because Elon Musk says its true doesnt make it so.
now i know why the government wants to put wind turbines offshore

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Diesel locomotive engines drive a generator.----Electric motors drive the wheels.------Electric power / motors is easier to manage to send power to the wheels.-----Super high start up loads to get a loaded train moving.
I know that, but if the power from diesels is better as stated why introduce electic. Maybe at beginning for the tourque but once going?

Status
Not open for further replies.