Solas Amita vs OEM (Yamaha)?

ForestLaker

Recruit
We have a 20' Premier pontoon with a 10-yr-old Yamaha T-50 4-stroke. We mostly just do slow cruising, but now we want to try pulling our toddler granddaughter in a towable tube they just bought.
Prop got pretty dinged up last season, time to replace. I've been seeing these Solas Amita props show up for a comparable price to the Yamaha OEM replacement, 3-blade, 13.5", 15º pitch. How do these Solas Amita props compare with original equipment? Are the really stronger or more superior in a meaningful way?

briangcc

Commander
Can't offer any advice on the prop. I'm of the mindset of...if the performance was acceptable with the OEM and the cost isn't that much different, I'd stay OEM.

Here's why....you'll be at idle or just above for your granddaughter. Anything above that, unless she's a real rare person, is going to be traumatizing. My cousin's daughters, and my sons, will not go above idle. Why? Because my other cousin submerged the tube they were on first time out dumping them in the water on takeoff.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Any time a prop is replaced, go for the best for your application. What is your max rpm at wot ? Does it match the motors max operating rpm? Even going slow, the prop should be effecient to get the best from your motor.

ForestLaker

Recruit
Any time a prop is replaced, go for the best for your application. What is your max rpm at wot ? Does it match the motors max operating rpm? Even going slow, the prop should be effecient to get the best from your motor.
Spec sheet lists max rpm at 5500 for this T-50. I'm not necessarily looking to improve or change anything, the boat runs fine — and this Amita prop has the exact same specs as the OEM, but they claim to have stronger blades due to their exclusive "squeeze casting process nearly eliminates porosity making our aluminum propellers stronger and tougher than traditional die cast propellers."

They seem well-received in the available reviews I've seen, just trying to maintain a healthy dose of internet-skepticism.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
a comparison:
I have an '06, twin 25" diameter tubes, 24' pontoon boat. It had an '05 Merc. 60 hp big foot 4 stroke. I pulled multiple tubes with preteens on them for years. Not very fast even at max, but they were content, until becoming teenagers then way too slow especially in the turns.....
Your 50 will be more than enough.
Props:
I changed motors in 2021 to a 115 hp merc. I experimented and went through 3 props for various reasons, even though I understood "propping". You'll want to try and avoid that.
Anyway, the motor is now equipped with a solas 3 blade-15.5"x13 pitch prop. It replaced a Merc. 3 blade-16"x13 pitch because I was trying to get my WOT rpm's from 5800 to 6000. I was hoping that reducing the diameter would get me the 200 rpm. It did not. On paper it was supposed to but did not. The results are the same as the merc.
My point is no matter what claims are made, there is no magical prop. Get the Solas, stay with the same size since your rpm's are good.

FWIW...I charted all my rpm/speed/ fuel consumption for the two 3 blades and the one 4 blade I had...I'll be happy to post 'em but you"ll see there is not any massive performance difference between any of 'em.....
so save your money, the Solas is fine.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
My two cents worth. Might be controversial for those who like a solas prop.
For me solas props are cheap rubbish. Not even close to a good quality merc stainless prop.
But more than anything else…I know for certain that if your Yamaha prop is the k series white ally type…then they are simply excellent props right out the box. Clever design and cut to them. It’s been shown time after time that only the very best of the stainless props out there, will show an improvement on performance over a k series. They are just that good out the box.
There is a very good chance that putting a like for like pitch solas stainless prop on there, could end up with a detrimental result.
I’ve even known two solas props that are apparently identical pitch and product…on the same boat and engine, to show difference results in rpm and performance. Suggesting that the finish is all over the place.

flashback

Captain
You have a 50hp engine on a 20 foot boat. If you have been happy with the performance I would stay with the OEM prop. I suspect the prop you have is all around and best for your needs.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Spec sheet lists max rpm at 5500 for this T-50. I'm not necessarily looking to improve or change anything, the boat runs fine — and this Amita prop has the exact same specs as the OEM, but they claim to have stronger blades due to their exclusive "squeeze casting process nearly eliminates porosity making our aluminum propellers stronger and tougher than traditional die cast propellers."

They seem well-received in the available reviews I've seen, just trying to maintain a healthy dose of internet-skepticism.
I have only tried that brand once, was not impressed but that does not make them bad. My best sucess has been with Michigan Wheel, not the cheapest but performance always good and when I need one repaired, my prop shop speaks highly of them. The key to having a prop match your boat is that the prop allows the motor to reach its max rated rpm. If not your motor is not running at peak performance and efficency. If your current prop does this then match the numbers, but if it doesn't now would be the time to correct it

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have only tried that brand once, was not impressed but that does not make them bad. My best sucess has been with Michigan Wheel, not the cheapest but performance always good and when I need one repaired, my prop shop speaks highly of them. The key to having a prop match your boat is that the prop allows the motor to reach its max rated rpm. If not your motor is not running at peak performance and efficency. If your current prop does this then match the numbers, but if it doesn't now would be the time to correct it
You know..it’s always been a strange one for me.
Having had my fair share of jet skis over the years…solas were/are always the go to prop maker for this. Always been impressed with the finish and performance gains. Without fail, I’d even add.
But when it comes to a solas prop for an outboard. Every one I’ve had, used or seen, just doesn’t impress. Nothing even close to the usual merc props.

ForestLaker

Recruit
Thanks to all you gentlemen—that's a lot of good info to sift through. I might just go up today to our good local marine store (where I bought everything here to begin with) and get the exact OEM replacement, the K series white one. I have been happy with the performance... this is not a race boat, we don't ski or wakeboard but we should at least be able to give a bit of a "thrill" ride to the granddaughter in her full-size towable tube (Big Mable). I still have to also get the tow ropes etc. for it.

But first, this old prop has already been repaired once, and with a low-water year last season this prop had a few new unexpected run-ins with the bottom. So time for a replacement. Thanks again for all your consideration and input!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks to all you gentlemen—that's a lot of good info to sift through. I might just go up today to our good local marine store (where I bought everything here to begin with) and get the exact OEM replacement, the K series white one. I have been happy with the performance... this is not a race boat, we don't ski or wakeboard but we should at least be able to give a bit of a "thrill" ride to the granddaughter in her full-size towable tube (Big Mable). I still have to also get the tow ropes etc. for it.

But first, this old prop has already been repaired once, and with a low-water year last season this prop had a few new unexpected run-ins with the bottom. So time for a replacement. Thanks again for all your consideration and input!
if you can get OEM for similar price to aftermarket do so.

Might be worth sending your old prop out for repair as a spare.

My kids loved the big mable when they were younger. Especially when they were younger had a bunch of kids on it , hanging of the back etc.. I think it lasted about 5-6 years before the outer fabric split.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My two cents worth. Might be controversial for those who like a solas prop.
For me solas props are cheap rubbish. Not even close to a good quality merc stainless prop.
I beg to differ. Solas props are WAY higher quality than any Mercury prop. I use Solas props on my Bravo 3 and my 90HP Mercury outboard exclusively.

Valley Propellor in California swears by them and he is one of the largest distributor of props to OEM boat dealers on the west coast. He showed me cutouts of Mercury props and Solas aluminum props and you could see the casting difference with your naked eye.

I had brought in an OEM Mercury prop to get repaired and he said not even to bother. The price difference between the repair and a brand new Solas was too close to evenmake it worth it.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Might be a difference in bigger props for bigger motors. I wanted another prop for my 40 hp outboard, our local prop shop recomended michigan wheel and showed me some differences. Solas was OK but the blades were thicker and not as effiencent as the thinner blade MW props. Not sure how they compare to a Merc prop, but I have used MW props for many many years with no issues and according to the prop shop, less costly to repair. Now....things might be different on larger props.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I beg to differ. Solas props are WAY higher quality than any Mercury prop. I use Solas props on my Bravo 3 and my 90HP Mercury outboard exclusively.

Valley Propellor in California swears by them and he is one of the largest distributor of props to OEM boat dealers on the west coast. He showed me cutouts of Mercury props and Solas aluminum props and you could see the casting difference with your naked eye.

I had brought in an OEM Mercury prop to get repaired and he said not even to bother. The price difference between the repair and a brand new Solas was too close to evenmake it worth it.
Are we talking stainless merc props ? Not sure there would be many guys laying claim to a solas stainless, able to come even close to even the most basic of merc stainless props. Surely there can’t be. If there are any..I’d maybe only suggest that they compare both in the flesh together. Then on a boat like for like. Night and day.
A dealers opinion might be a tough one to go by. A seadoo dealer will tell you they’re better than a Yamaha…and a Yamaha dealer will tell you the opposite all day long. Or I suppose any vendor that sells a product of any sort..will feel obligated to promote their stock perhaps.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A dealers opinion might be a tough one to go by. A seadoo dealer will tell you they’re better than a Yamaha…and a Yamaha dealer will tell you the opposite all day long. Or I suppose any vendor that sells a product of any sort..will feel obligated to promote their stock perhaps.
I would agree…..Sales Manager for the OEM Supplier market for a number of years.

OEM suppliers want something that meets their (typically min.) performance specification, gets them through warranty w/o hassles and expect volume pricing to go with it. We configured an entire product line to support that market.

By far our best selling systems, but far short in performance and features purchase by most of our end users

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Are we talking stainless merc props ? Not sure there would be many guys laying claim to a solas stainless, able to come even close to even the most basic of merc stainless props. Surely there can’t be. If there are any..I’d maybe only suggest that they compare both in the flesh together. Then on a boat like for like. Night and day.
I don't think merc has nearly the amount of selection for the B3 props he mentions, and I think the thread was about AL props so apples and oranges. Certainly Enertia, revolution 4 etc are tough to beat on single prop set ups.

My good friend has 24 ft Crownline Deck boat 350 Mag/B3 with the standard Merc 4x3 props (dont know the pitch)... pretty lackluster set up. Boat is a little under powered but would probably benefit from a set of Hills props.

I put a solas impeller on my 2004 Sea Doo GTI RFI LE. Wasn.t that impressed with it vs the OEM impeller. Next time I have the pump off I will swap it back to see if performance down low is restored or if the engine is getting tired.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes I am. Cobalt dealers in CA are putting Solas props on their brand new boats going out the door. These are $200K+ boats!

I just bought a new set of duo props for my Cobalt since I wanted to go up 1" of pitch. I did not even consider going with Mercury...I bought another Solas.

If you are comparing stainless Mercury props to an aluminum Solas props, that's a whole different thing.

As far as the propeller dealer I use, he has stacks of Mercury props right next to the Solas props so he can sell any prop he wants. He doesn't even list Solas on his website.

Have you ever used both a Mercruiser prop and a Solas props on the same boat and engine? I have.

As far as the original poster with a 50HP Yamaha outboard and a pontoon boat, There will be ZERO difference between pretty much any prop. It will be slow with any prop....stainless or aluminum will make no difference which is why I stick with aluminum on my 90HP powered pontoon.

Last edited:

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
it wasnt zero diff it was half a MPH... serious question is the totalizer worth the install?
It's part of a mercury smartcraft system. The tach was worth the install. But I like operating stats, kinda good knowing the best cruising rpm range.
And I was just showing, merc, solas...didn't matter....
Actually was hoping the 15.5 diameter of the solas was gonna get me the extra 200 rpm over the merc.....which it didn't.....that also shows paper stats are not absolute....
If someone wants a solas, then get it....if someone wants OEM, then get it....

Last edited: