Solar pool heater water flow question(s)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
And looks like just uses pipe clamps? How do you transition to the sch 40 pvc?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Check valves keep the panels full. Mine were 20 years old when I removed them for the new roof

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah i have two ready to go in but what happened to my friends tubes (not panels) is was the burst from overheat / expansion. That said i did find some at tractor supply that is 160 psi rated. I'll have to ask my friend but he might have been using drip irrigation pipe.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I did have the piping system up and the flow was adequate and I still had valves to close so yes, all good.
good to hear you're all good on this

regarding your most-recent post on pipe bursting and PSI rating - typically if a thermoplastic pipe material has a higher burst rating, it is usually thicker pipe, and that may affect your heat transfer

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well it is all in and running. As expected it will just be able to raise the temp a few degrees so will help for fall/spring temps plus the extra shade is awesome.

I've got an inline temp gauge on the way and will know the temp differential soon.

THe other day, no heater on it hit 96 degrees....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
With temps over 92-94, the chlorine just evaporates. With temps at 96, check your chemicals

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah been watching that pretty good so far. The saltwater keeps things pretty simple.