Soda blasting

NathanY

Commander
Anyone ever had their aluminum boat soda blasted? What can I expect to pay for an 18' boat?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'd bet it varies greatly between 2 different markets. Say between anywhere in NY and me in WV.

zool

Captain
If you have an adequate compressor on hand, the equipment and media isn't all that expensive to do it yourself but whether u want to is worth exploring. If you plan to paint after, keep in mind soda has a tendency to leach out, and foul a good paint job...it tends to hang under seams, rivets,and welds...a good decontaminating and sanding can yield fine results, without the associated risks of SB on AL hulls. JFYI.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What are you trying to accomplish? Are you merely wanting to freshen up the aluminum, or remove existing paint or what? That would determine the effort involved. Post a few pictures of your present hull and tell us what you are wanting to do. Then we can offer better ideas. JMHO!

NathanY

Commander
I am wanting to strip the hull to bare metal for repainting. Ive already removed the interior. Its just a bare hull. Im going to flip it, have it stripped, replace leaking rivets, and professionally repainted. Making an old boat in to a new boat.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you are paying a pro to paint it, get your prep instructions from that pro, or let him or her do the prep. The fellow I know who is an auto and big truck bodyman, and does boats for fun and as a sideline, flips them and sandblasts them in his yard. I'm not sure how he gets them clean after, but the two I saw that he did looked great.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am wanting to strip the hull to bare metal for repainting. Ive already removed the interior. Its just a bare hull. Im going to flip it, have it stripped, replace leaking rivets, and professionally repainted. Making an old boat in to a new boat.

Honestly. I don't know how you can make any money flipping boats. If you put the effort into them to truly make them both safe and look great, your time eats up the profit. At least in my thinking. :noidea:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I meant flip it upside down to get at the bottom.

Okay, sorry I was thinking flipping boats for profit. We do have some folks that do flip boats. But I can't see how they make any profit if they figure in their time. Post some pictures of your boat project. I'd like to see what you are working on. We love pictures on these forums. JMHO!