SmokerCraft 161 Pro Angler Anyone?

DaveJ50

Seaman
I'm thinking about purchasing the 161 Pro Angler and having them mount my E-tec 50. This boat would be used to run up river about 15 miles to fish in really cold water during winter.

Will the 50hp be enough for this boat?

How does it handle rough water? Not anyways near great lakes rough but it can make for a long trip in an aluminum modified V.

Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about this boat or SmokerCraft?

I've never looked at any deep v's before. Why do they all have only a bench with a seat mount at the rear. None that I looked at provide much room for the guy fishing at the stern.

I thought about the 171 but it is only 8 inches longer and the beam is 92 which is a little wide to stuff through a 95 inch garage door.

Any/All comments appreciated.

Thanks

rschnack

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: SmokerCraft 161 Pro Angler Anyone?

I have a 2002 Stealth 162. It is the same hull as yours but has the dual console. I have a 50 hp Mercury four stroke on it.
The hull is only rated to 60 hp. 50hp is over 80% of the rating so it works well. It is not a high speed boat. I run an 11p prop which runs a little over 30mph @ WOT, with three adults on board. I usually cruise at just over 20mph. With a 60hp it would probably be a little faster.
This is a good design. Part of the reason I bought it was because of an old fisherman I met that has the 161 version. He goes out trolling for salmon in Lake Michigan almost everyday in almost any weather. I have seen him out when he disappears between the waves. My experiences mirror his: The hull seems pretty tough and we have had no problems with rivets working loose. The one annoyance he warned me about was that, like in most aluminum boats, all of the fasteners on the boat will work loose and need to be checked periodically. I've noticed that the screws that hold the pedistal seats in place and that hold the front fishing platform in place tend to loosen up after a day on rough water. I simply tighten them and the boat is ready to go again.
It is a very light boat, weighing only around 845 lbs without the motor. It handles the rough water pretty well but not as well as heavier boats. I found it rides much better in chop if you keep the nose trimmed down, so that the "v" cuts into the waves, rather than letting the flatter part of the hull slam into the waves. I've heard that filling the livewell in the front of the boat helps in rough conditions, but have not tried it. The light weight does make it much easier to trailer and handle. My combination is very good on gas. I usually only use 2-3 gallons during a long outing. You should do well with the E-tec.
The boat is not very big. A bigger platform in the back would take up a lot of space.
The 171 is a much heavier duty boat. It is much heavier (1180 lbs) with thicker metal. It is larger in almost every dimension. It is also much more expensive. It would ride better and have more room than the 161. It is also rated for 135hp. Your E-tec 50 would not be big enough.
RCS

DaveJ50

Seaman

Thanks, that was a bunch of good information and it is really appreciated. There is just no one around here to ask.

I thought about the 171 but it would cost more and make me purchase a new outboard. The 50hp is only burning 3-4 gal per trip so I don't think twice about going. Plus, I'll fish more if it fits in the garage and doesn't have to be covered and charged in the dark and snow of winter.

The E-Tec will run my 17ft aluminum mod-v 35-38 mph but will pound it's and my parts loose in rough water. I have been only running 20-25 mph anyway. That seems to me to be the best speed for the amount of cold.

Thanks Again

dvlauth

Recruit

I got a 162 Pro Angler a little under 2 months ago with a 50 4 stroke.

The 50's the bare minimum I'd put on it. Wish I had the 60, but I get the same results as the other guy. It really struggles to plane out if the guy in the back is over 150 or so pounds. With the rear pedestal offset to port, the boat always lists.

Unless you really reduce your speed, you will get soaked in rough water.

My complaints:
1) One of the side bunks on the trailer fell off on the way home from the dealer and scratched the paint (scratches not fixed, but the dealer made up for it).

2) The mooring cover is junk. Water easily gets in the hole cut in the transom and soaks the floor and any carpet touching it. This the dealer won't correct, and I guess I'm just screwed on. I'm already having mildew problems.

3) It leaks. Can't figure out where nor why. Sometimes it won't take any water on after being in the water all day, other times it takes on 10+ gallons in a couple minutes. With the big rains we've had, it's taken me a long time to figure out if the water was coming from the cover or from the boat. Now I'm sure the boat's leaking. We'll see what happens with that...

Anyone else with these problems?

dvlauth

Recruit

Should also note that it is easy for 3 people to fish out of. It's easy to get in and out of, has a reasonable amount of storage space. Being lightweight it trailers well. Everyone comments on how sharp it looks. The Lund guys tend to think I spent $5-10k more than I did on it...

All in all it just seems there was little attention to detail when they put the boat together. Gauges falling out or not working, the ingnition falling out, windshield being misaligned and falling apart, parts of the interior not being fastened securely...if these are the problems in the first 2 months, what about the first 2 years?

I'm very happy I bought it from a reputable dealer that I know will work to fix the big problems. That's probably one of the more imporatant things to keep in mind.

DaveJ50

Seaman

>>Unless you really reduce your speed, you will get soaked in rough water.

I had not noticed that the 3rd seat mount was offset until you mentioned it. Is the ride wet with 2 people or just when the 3rd person causes the list? I hate to hear about getting soaked, I already own a wet ride.

I hope your leak is just a hose or something simple to fix. My nearest dealer is 150 miles away so I would probably try to fix loose fittings myself but a leak is over my head. Funny that you don't find water every trip. I wonder if the list is causing the spray to be directed into the boat.

I really like the looks of this boat and would have purchased already but my storage plan fell through. I'm working on another plan and thinking about purchasing a good trailering cover and keeping it outside for this year. I plan to keep my mod-V because the local lake is full of logs and brush and it will float over stuff that the deep-v won't.

Hopefully after you get the bugs worked out you will have a really nice boat.

I would be interested to hear more about the leak when you get it resolved.

Thanks

dvlauth

Recruit

I get the wet ride whenever the lake's rough, regardless of how I'm loaded. If you're going to have two others with you, put your least favorite of the two in the back, as they'll be soaked. Certainly this can vary based on wind direction and how you're taking the waves, but even riding over the back of the waves you get wet. Make sure you get the 162 to at least give your passengers a chance. I'm damn happy I did.

Talked to the dealer about the leak as I don't want to give up the boat during summer. He said they've had a few where the livewell pump develops a hairline crack. The pump's very easy to get to, but that's not my problem. So far all I can figure out is it leaks in the bow, as the stern is dry until I take off. I've already checked the two overflow hoses of the livewell. I'm fearful it's a problem with the supply hose connection...they'd have to tear the consoles and/or floor apart to get to it. If that's the case, I may get a lawyer and argue for a new rig. Enough's enough.

If you do buy it, I hope you have better luck. Also, tell the dealer you want to watch a tech check the torque on ALL the trailer bolts. Driving home from the dealer (20 miles) I had a bumper fall off and scratch the hell out the hull. I checked all the bolts over and some others were loose. I'd also order it without the mooring cover if possible. It has a big cut out in the stern, so rain water gets in and the carpet at the floor line is always wet. When the water evaporates, it condenses on the inside of the cover, runs back to the cutout, drips into the seat pedestal, and drains back onto your floor.

Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns.

wallin

Recruit

I have a 2007 162 Pro Mag and love it. I have a Suzuki 90hp on it and she will run 42 mph on a flat lake.The newer hulls handle the water better than any boat of its size I have been in in years. I did have to put ears on the motor to help her plain a little faster, but thats common with all most all of them.I really like my choice of the Pro Mag 162
Wallin

pallister

Cadet

I have to agree with dvlauth on the 171. bought the millentia and although it's rated for a larger motor the price was great since I bought a new non-current hull out of the factory in new paris in., for a great discount. they have them shrink wrapped from previous years production runs and you could probably save enough to go to say, a 90 hp and it will all be warrantied and totally new. just something to consider
cheers
Ken

dvlauth

Recruit

Update on my leak

Boat went back to the mfger and came back with a few gallons of water in it. Not happy they let that sit in there over the winter.

The dealer said they pulled the floor out and completely went over it. Leak was the livewell drain in the bow and a few loose rivets. They put a bunch of scratches in the paint, but I'll live with that.

Finally got it dried out this week, took it out today and have about 5 gallons of water in it. :mad::mad: I'm hoping there was just some water trapped in the bow from the repair. :confused:

The floor is also heaving, maybe from the plywood swelling with water?

inshore-gasm

Cadet

I have a 1981 Smoker Craft Pro angler 16' with a 60hp merc and it runs in the top 40s and when the wind is to my back I got 51mph! My mechanic re-built the motor and put a bunch of parts from the 75hp merc so its pretty nice to have that power to crank it threw the waves. I have been out in 4 footers and had no problems just allot of rocking back and forth cause she is so light. Now, what I did diff to mine is i turned it into a center console and put in a 1/2'' fiberglass floor and fiberglassed over all the screws in the floor so I have a non skid white gel coat deck! I love it! I am building a new livewell right now that doubles as a cooler on the oposite side to keep bait cool. I fish the Gulf and troll for grouper in 2-3 footers all day. as far as getting wet I put a 3'' rubrail rubber molding around the "v" and down the sides and that knocks down allot of that spray but when its 106 degrees outside you tend to like the spray.

j.holmes

Recruit

I got a 162 Pro Angler a little under 2 months ago with a 50 4 stroke.

Just wandering?

I just paid 18k CAN for my 2011 162 Pro Angler with 2011 60hp 4 stroke Merc.

ripped off or not?