Small engine replacement. LoveJoy shaft connector. How does it remove?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I am going to replace the engine on my wood splitter with a predator from HF. I found one video online on how to replace the love-joy but had two questions for this group.

1). When I unbolt the engine, will it just slide off the shaft that is connected to the pump?

2). It seems the love joys attach to each shaft via a small “keyhole” hex bolt. Any advice on how to disconnect the one on the engine shaft side? Worried it will strip out.
BF4A33DE-7FA7-4426-841B-BCC9D7C20CD8.jpeg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, just pull the engine back pulling the jaws apart.

You can simply loosen the set screws and slide the jaws apart on the shafts

There are 2 jaws and one coupler spider

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
It just pulls apart. Then remove the setscrews and install the new one. When changing the motor, sometimes the motor shaft is a different diameter. You may have to contact the company and tell them the measurements to get the correct sizes on both ends.1645534835164.png

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you both. Do you know if the Briggs and Stratton 5hp has the same shaft diameter as the Harbor Freight 6.5hp Predator?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I need to measure it but think it’s 5/8”. I suppose I can still get the predator (the price is great) but get a new love joy? Any better way to match up the pump shaft and the crank shaft?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Get the motor, check the shaft and if you have to just get a new Lovejoy and mate it to the old Lovejoy. Use half of each one.

matt167

Captain
A 5hp Briggs should have a 3/4" shaft. That swap is about as easy as it could get. The base plate dimensions are the same. But the clone engine will require new bolts due to the thicker casting.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I need to measure it but think it’s 5/8”. I suppose I can still get the predator (the price is great) but get a new love joy? Any better way to match up the pump shaft and the crank shaft?
dial indicator.

the lovejoy has a max axial limit of about .015

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks all. The set screw on the Lovejoy mounted to the engine will not come off at all I’ve twisted up two Allen wrench. Sprayed it with penetrating oil and used heat. Nothing. Any advice? Amazon sells them but I’m not sure what size I need. Thanks.

Attachments

• 60114EF0-CBB3-4E74-962E-0F47C7C4379C.png
    60114EF0-CBB3-4E74-962E-0F47C7C4379C.png
    2 MB · Views: 6

matt167

Captain
Predator is 3/4" shaft. I think the second is the diamater of the coupler itself.

Tractor supply or other farm store carries them as well.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks all. The set screw on the Lovejoy mounted to the engine will not come off at all I’ve twisted up two Allen wrench. Sprayed it with penetrating oil and used heat. Nothing. Any advice? Amazon sells them but I’m not sure what size I need. Thanks.
Use a torch to add heat and an impact driver

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Most allen wrenches are made out of peanut butter. A good quality allen wrench will break before it bends.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If you already twisted two wrenches, were they the wrong size? Inquiring minds would like to know.
also you could drill the set screws if you have good drill bits. It’s not a perfect solution but it may work. If you are scrapping the motor, worst case, cut the motor shaft, then get a puller on there. It may get ugly.