small electrical item off the battery...anyone know what this is?

achenlx200

Recruit
Hi all, I am hoping someone can help identify this electrical component that is hanging off the positive terminal of my boat battery. This is separate from power lead to the 90A fuse and I am not sure where the 2 wires that come off of it goes to yet (single feed in, 2 out). The boat is a 2009 Tahoe Q5i with the 4.3l Mercruiser TKS. The component has a spring internal to it and a metal cover over the spring that fell off (hence my wanting to replace it). I am thinking this is some sort of fuse, but have never seen anything like this. Pics are attached (not sure I did this right), but would appreciate any info you might have on such an item!
Thanks, Alan
back side.jpegfront missing cover.jpegcomponent metal cover.jpg

Chief Petty Officer
Trace the lines and report back.

If you don't know where they come from and where they go ... no one else will.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
That is a thermal overload. When it gets too hot the contact will open and soon as it cools it will close back up. They are rated for current. Without the cover you will need to figure out the rating. I got a bunch of different ones In The garage and i can look abd see a name brand if needed tomorrow

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a self-resetting circuit breaker that operates like Froggy stated.

tpenfield

Staff member
Flux Capacitor ??? :unsure:
:LOL:

No. . . stud-type circuit breaker, as stated. Is/was there a trolling motor?

achenlx200

Recruit
Thanks all for your comments (especially flux capacitor!)! I was hoping that someone would recognize this and all of you did! The metal cover has a stamp on it, but is very hard to read with the corrosion spots. Best I can make out is "R TRUFLEX" repeated 3 times in capital letters top to bottom, but I could be missing something (image attached - you might be able to make out the lettering). There is no number on the metal cover. I tried googling this, but nothing came up. Thanks again! Alan

Cover with text.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are hundreds of importers of thermal fuses and about 3-4 US manufacturers

what you need is the amperage rating.

or you need to know what the load it to determine the proper amperage

my suggest, Cole-Hersee or Hella or blue sea systems

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
1670346181628.png

The circuit breaker rating is on the Truflex part you posted. Have a look at these with the metal cover removed. There are plenty of replacements out there. You need to find the load it's protecting and size the replacement accordingly.

achenlx200

Recruit
View attachment 373401

The circuit breaker rating is on the Truflex part you posted. Have a look at these with the metal cover removed. There are plenty of replacements out there. You need to find the load it's protecting and size the replacement accordingly.
This is a good match! So it appears that I am missing the full can cover that has the breaker rating on it. Would you have a view of the breaker with the cover attached for my reference? I guess I'll have to search the bilge area next! Thanks! Alan

achenlx200

Recruit
Hi everyone, I was not able to find the cover, even after vacuuming out the entire bilge area. It must have been taken out by the prior owner. The fuse is bad, reading 12.3v on input, but only 6.7v on output. I also traced the wire and it goes to the front instrument cluster and console (to the fuse block under the console). That block contains 2, 3, 5 and one 10A fuse (mostly 5A). The 10A is for the 12v accessory port. I believe that most of the fuses in the block are low values since they are tied to relays for the high current items (like bilge, trim, etc.). I checked with Tracker Marine and Tahoe parts for the Q5i, but no luck! I'd like to replace it and would value your thoughts as to a good lower value to try. Images are attached from other boats (you guys were right on regarding the type)! Thanks again, Alan

boat battery fuse.JPGboat battery fuse 2.JPG

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ideally you fuse to the amp rating of the wiring in the circuit.
At a minimum, you fuse to the rated capacity of the fuse block.

achenlx200

Recruit
Ideally you fuse to the amp rating of the wiring in the circuit.
At a minimum, you fuse to the rated capacity of the fuse block.
Thanks! It is a 10ga and I've ordered 30A fuse for it. That matches both the gauge and the approximate sum of the fuse block. Thanks all for the great advice!