Slow 125

danny9696

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:confused: Hi all I have an 89 force 125, good running engine (well now that it uses all four coils;) ) But I have a question, I have it on a 19' Bayliner 1901 ski boat, it seems slow, top speed half tank of gas and just me is about 38mph trimmed out, I was on a buddy?s 18' bayliner with a 90 and it was a tad bit faster, my boat is lighter, I was told by a merc engine builder to raise the engine on the transom because it is to low in the water, also I keep propping down to get my RPM up at best it only hits 4500, all cylinders are around 120 psi, and a 15 pitch prop. with a skier behind me and two others on the boat we are lucky to get up to 15mph in a straight line and it does not even register in a turn, and my fuel mileage is horrid! fuel tank in half a day, boat feels like its fighting an anchor, anyone have any ideas for me?

Thank you

danny

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Slow 125

Be sure the timing and link and sync is right & throttle opens all the way.
Raise the motor to a point just before venting becomes a problem.
Check the weight of the boat should be 1470 dry. When you trim out does the hull seem to respond? Bow should rise and speed go up.If the boat seems to lay down
there may be a hook in the bottom.
Your 125 will use about 12 gallons per hour (gph) at wide open throttle(wot)
You might pull the plugs; compare that they are burning the same no wet or fouled plugs.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

How are you checking speed? Speedometers are not 100% accurate. GPS is the best way to compare speed, especially if you're talking 2 or 3 miles an hour.

danny9696

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys thank you, my plugs looked great, and I put new ones in, carbs are opening as they should, I will re sync it and check timing, I was using a GPS on my fish finder, boat does seem to respond and it does speed up when I trim it out but just seems like it is not getting all the RPM but I will time it and resync it and see how she does, thank you:D