Shear Pin Stuck in Shaft??????

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ever heard of this before???????
Yea, 1966 18 hp Evinrude and I hit something that was floating just underneath the water. Sheared the pin. Took off the prop and the shear pin is stuck in the shaft. It sheared perfectly against the shaft and there is nothing left of it other than what's in the width of the shaft. Won't come out even with some pretty serious persuasion (putting a small flat screw against the pin.....or at least what's left of it and hitting it with a hammer).
Anyone know how to get this thing out???? Thanks in advance.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shear Pin Stuck in Shaft??????

Get a punch just a little smaller than the pin and give it one good wack with a hammer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pretty common. Do what boobie said, or a nail.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I've used 4 or 5 nails along with the screws and they've all bent with no movement from the pin. I guess I'll get a little more serious with it and lay it on it's side with the foot on a block of wood, and whack it a few times with a punch and hammer. I've sheared probably a dozen plus pins over the years and never had one stick in the shaft. Makes me a little nervous to get to beastly with it, but I'm thinking it shouldn't take too heafty of blows to get it out.........I hope.

BonairII

Commander

Maybe support the entire shaft with a 2X4 with a large hole drilled in it(where the shear pin is). Give it a smart whack and the pin should shoot out thru the 2X4.

Try a little heat before whacking it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Be careful with the heat, as the propshaft seals are rubber.

scuba_redneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do you have any play at all with yours? I sheared one on the water yesterday but was able to get it out with a little persuasion from a pair of needle nose pliers and a metal file to remove enough material to bring the pin back close enough to round to go through the hole. If you can file off just a tad bit of metal off of that old pin it will come out.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Get a magnifying glass and check for a break-off burr. Doesn't take much to lock the pin in there.
If you have a Dremel grinder, you can remove that burr pretty precisely without marking the shaft.

If that is not the situation, someone probably used a badly undersized pin and when it broke, it bent as well.

MacGyver a pin press from a C-clamp, two small blocks of wood, and a section of a
"right-sized" nail as a driven punch....should be the thickness of the block of wood plus...say 1/2 the diameter of the prop shaft
Drill a hole in both blocks that will be a slip-fit for the nail section.
The idea is to assemble the whole works onto the shaft so that as you tighten the c-clamp it presses the nail through and pushed out the broken pin.
Once the nail has started through, it'll only go about 1/2 way before the clamp comes up against the wood, but at that point you should be able to take the whole contraption off and tap the broken pin the rest of the way.

Hope that explanation is clear because i don't want to have to try and draw a pic and post that...there are some experts in here with that, but I am not one of them....:);)

kfa4303

Banned

I just had to get mine out of my '66 20 hp and just used a small carpenter's nail punch. A bit of penetrating oil and/or heat may help too. If worse comes to worse, I suppose you could take it to a machine shop and they can just drill the old SS pin out with a 3/16" bit using a press. To make sure I always had plenty more replacement pins, I got a 4'-5' length 3/16 brass rod from ACE Hardware for about $9 and went home and snipped off about 6-8 spare pins. Well worth the effort and expense and I still have several feet left. I believe it's supposed to actually be a SS "drive" pin, but I like the security of a shear pin. Just a little extra layer of protection. Good luck. Keep us posted.

halfmoa

Ensign

Maybe support the entire shaft with a 2X4 with a large hole drilled in it(where the shear pin is). Give it a smart whack and the pin should shoot out thru the 2X4.

I agree. A 4x4 would be even better. Cut it to the proper length and slide under the shaft on a hard surface and use a drift punch AFTER checking for burrs.

You didn't happen to loctite the pin in, did ya?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Do what Bubba says. Drift punch is the proper tool for this job.