Seaswirl purchase

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking for info on 2003 Seaswirl Striper 26' with the alaskan package (full glass and hard top), with 2003 250hp Evinrude. <br />Thinking of purchasing it soon. <br /><br />Any experience with these boats. Good, bad?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Seaswirl purchase

warranty is more important than reputation IMHO.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

See my post in the I/O section; I'm very enthusiastic about my Striper. Guy in my same marina has the 26' "Sport Cabin," and loves it. The Alaska option is new this year, and I saw a couple at the boat show. It looks pretty good; the front and sides would obviously be sealed much better than the hardtop/canvas version, and you wouldn't have the isenglass above the windshield to look through. I kind of like being able to take down all canvas except the top in summer, but that's the trade-off. Certainly would make those cold spring and fall days more enjoyable.<br />My only question on your proposed boat is the engine size. 250 hp. is the bare minimum for the 2600, and with the added weight of the Alaska top, it's going to be slower. At least, do a test run with full gas and 4 of your best 300 lb. friends. If it were mine, I'd think about two smaller engines. Two 150/175 Evinrudes would be great: that boat's rated for up to 400 hp.<br />(I thought all 2003 Stripers came with Yamahas?)The 7 year warranty on Evinrudes would be tough to match, and Bombardier really came through on my OMC-produced Johnson.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Me (1850 Striper w/ 115 Ficht) and my buddy (1851 Striper w/ 135 Johnson), just got back from a week in the Keys. Over 1,800 road miles and 275 water miles (each) without a single problem of any kind, boat, motor or trailer. I'm going on 400 hours and my rig has never been in the shop for anything. I'd buy another Seaswirl/Ficht in a heartbeat. <br /><br />Can't beat that new 7 year Ficht warranty.

tgooch47

Cadet

Major Woods, regarding the purchase of the Seaswirl Alaskan. I agree with Capn Mike about the two smaller engines. I currently own a 2002 Striper 26 WA powered by a Volvo I/O 5.0L 270 hp. This engine works great for me. I usually have a full load of fuel, fishing gear and friends. I feel the 250 hp would be working pretty hard with a moderate to full load of gear and friends. Additional expense of two engines is considerable, but may be necessary. Definately go for a water test with friends on board. We have been happy with our boat so far nothing seriously wrong only minor do it yourself fix its. The boat handled well on Lake Michigan, very seaworthy. The Volvo performed superbly although I will change prop to a Power Tech 4 blade this season to get a little more lower-midrange rpm performance.