Sears/Eska Connecting rod question

Sparkwizard

Recruit
Hi. I'm Dave and I am new here. I come from the dry land tractor and Mini bike community.
I have a couple of Tecumseh snow blower engines from the dark ages about 30-40 years ago.
We have a problem hot rodding these little engines because the connecting rods are weak. I have been told that some of the old Eska and Sears/ Ted Williams Tecumseh engines had steel connecting rods and were designed to run at 7800 RPM. I have been picking up some of these old motors for parts. Does anybody know, or remember if the rods are made of steel?

Thanks Dave

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Check with Tecumseh on-line. Thats who makes the power heads but remember the last ones made were in 87 they might be different now as far as rods

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Look at them. Cast steel is different than cast iron

Sparkwizard

Recruit
Thank you for your replies. I bought a junk, seized 1986 5 horse Sears motor with no lower unit for $20. The reed plate and carb are worth that much to me. My snow blower engine is piston port, so the reed plate will be an upgrade. The rod looks like brass or bronze. I need to soak it a while before I can get the piston out. Thanks for your help.
I know they don't make much power. I am gearing the little bike down so much, I want a few more RPM so I can ride faster than I walk.
Thanks again. Dave