Saturn Sd385 for keys cruiser?

Swibb

Recruit
New to inflatables and considering a Saturn SD385 with air floor to use primarily as a backcountry cruiser and transportation to friend's houses/boats in the Florida Keys on an up coming month long trip. Maybe to the reef and back on calm days. On most days we will have 2 people in the boat, but want to have room to take another couple along with us. The SD385 is advertised to hold 5 people, but I'm a little unsure if it will comfortably fit 4 adults being more narrow than their other 14 and 15 foot models.

I've heard really mixed reviews on the air decks, but the idea of my girlfriend and I being able to easily pull the boat in and out of the water with dingy wheels is very alluring. With proper inflation is the performance acceptable with airfloor on newer 2022 models? The more recent opinions on the air deck seem much more positive than those posts from a few years back. Will I need to constantly inflate it if I keep it in the water for a few days at a time?

I will be keeping it mostly at the dock for this trip, but then keeping it stored in the back of our RV for more infrequent use when camping. I have a new tohatsu 20hp already on the way, and just need to pull the trigger on a raft. Im also considering the larger 14 and 15 foot saturn models that are wider with alumimum floor, but the increased weight and price may not be worth the trouble. The SD385 is also in stock for pickup in Miami which will make my life much easier than dealing with the crazy boats to go shipping policy.

All of your advice here will be much appreciated.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Can order same 385 Mtr Sib with an alum panel floor, performs much better than an air deck of same size. An air deck has high pressure but low air volume that's why needs to be constantly reinflated to around 12-14 PSI to achieve a high floor rigidity that doesn't rock on choppy water conditions along being able to stand on it. Weights around 10 + kilos but with a 20 HP will be sacrificing much better water performance with more passengers against lighter portability and faster assembly/dissasembly time with an air deck. Can order an alum panel floor and a spare air deck, try both...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Swibb

Recruit
Welcome to Iboats,

Can order same 385 Mtr Sib with an alum panel floor, performs much better than an air deck of same size. An air deck has high pressure but low air volume that's why needs to be constantly reinflated to around 12-14 PSI to achieve a high floor rigidity that doesn't rock on choppy water conditions along being able to stand on it. Weights around 10 + kilos but with a 20 HP will be sacrificing much better water performance with more passengers against lighter portability and faster assembly/dissasembly time with an air deck. Can order an alum panel floor and a spare air deck, try both...

Happy Boating
If I go with an aluminum deck, would I just be best off going with a larger size then? The extra room and larger 20" tubes on the sizes up do seem nice 15 and 16ft... Is there a point where I can go too large for the 20hp and start seeing performance reductions?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is it possible to gor a larger Sib and a small trailer in which the Sib and motor can live permanently installed and a proper place to store, park it ? This will avoid asembling/disassembling it each time it's used, faster to wash after use including flushing the motor on the transom.

A larger Sib well inflated to it's recommended working pressure will plane faster than a shorter one due to less hull drag. You can alway go for a prop maximization to a less pitch prop from factory delivered one to get the max out of larger inflatable sizes.

There are many Saturn Sibs to choose from, which precise 15-16 footer model will you be interested in asside the 385 ? I see there are some with shorter transom heights, others bit taller. Saturn compared to other brands have slight narrower bows which lose some available bow space to count with.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This is the 14 footer Sib you need : Will need a trailer yes or yes, only 2 left...

14Ft Extra Heavy Duty Sib.jpg

It's the Extra Heavy Duty Fishing version, a 15 footer will be to darn laaarge....LOL!!

Happy Boating